Motherhood Statements

Geoff_One   Sun Nov 20, 2005 12:34 pm GMT
What is your understanding of what these are?
Geoff_One   Sun Nov 20, 2005 1:00 pm GMT
I think I have a general idea of what these are, but I would like to see definitive information on them.

I have visited several language sites recently and I have seen what I believe to be motherhood statements.
Damian in Edinburgh   Sun Nov 20, 2005 4:04 pm GMT
Motherhood Statements? Absolutely no idea..never heard of them.

My guess is a declaration of love expressed by a mother in relation to her baby (babies)...then a vow to make sure the father does not have access to the said baby (babies).....then a demand for said father to pay maintenance dues....for said baby (babies)...and herself....notwithstanding. Isn't that a Motherhood Statement?

That's what immediately springs to mind anyway ...off hand....the result of seeing so many similar cases in the course of my work since I started this job.

I may be way off beam from the real definition but it seems to fit what I've just expressed.
Uriel   Mon Nov 21, 2005 12:21 am GMT
"Motherhood statements?" No idea. Sounds like some sort of cheesy pop-culture psychobabble.
Stan   Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:19 am GMT
It is a term for political statements that are so bland they have lost their meaning – terms that no one could disagree with, designed to win the support of all people at all times.

They are called 'motherhood' statements: in deference to the one universal virtue that no one would dare attack. Politicians often kiss babies because no one can object to babies. And babies come from mothers and mothers are good. Always (atleast we all think).

It is a universal concepts (often truths) which no living being in all sense of morality would subject to objection. Its commonly used in political circles, for instance everyone believes its evil to kill innocent people so if a politician makes statements condemning the killing of the innocent, no one can oppose such statements, even if you dislike the politician.
Guest   Mon Nov 21, 2005 1:57 pm GMT
Isn't it "motherf...ing statements" ?
yo   Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:21 pm GMT
refrain from using any abusive language please
Ben   Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:33 pm GMT
Good one, Guest. I like that.
Robin   Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:23 pm GMT
From Wikipedia

"As American as apple pie" is a common saying in the United States. However, the expression (its full form being "As American as motherhood and apple pie"[citation needed]) is clearly metaphorical, rather than literally ascribing an American origin to either apple pie or motherhood, since both motherhood and apple pie predate the United States. To some, the saying expresses the feeling that the concept "America" is not just geographical, but is instead—along with motherhood and apple pie—something wholesome.
Robin   Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:31 pm GMT
This is a definition from an Australian publication:

Motherhood Statements

There is a term for political statements that are so bland they have lost their meaning – terms that no one could disagree with, designed to win the support of all people at all times.

http://workers.labor.net.au/220/editorial_editorial.html