"Later", "Whatever" and "Duh"

Peter John Stubbs   Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:22 am GMT
1 July 2008

To One and All

Firstly wish to say I have nothing against the US population (nor any other nationality), I have distant cousins who live in the US.

However have to say it does irritate me when I hear the above three expressions, "whatever" to me is showing disrespect/rudeness, "later" shows language laziness and "duh" is impolite/discourteous.

Would be pleased to hear from ANYONE along with their thoughts.

Sincerely

Peter

UK

peter.stubbs3@virgin.net
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:50 am GMT
What a joke! People talk as the please, the don't take into account your issues (apparently very serious).
furrykef   Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:57 am GMT
I can't really argue with the other two, but I don't see how the "language laziness" of "later" could be a problem. Instead of laziness, you could view it as efficiency. The thought is communicated perfectly, and with fewer syllables. What could be wrong with that?

- Kef
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:59 am GMT
"Later" is 2 syllables, which is longer than "bye"... so how is it laziness?
Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:20 pm GMT
"whatever" to me is showing disrespect/rudeness, "later" shows language laziness and "duh" is impolite/discourteous"

Well, duh.
Skippy   Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:43 pm GMT
So I guess I don't have to ask your opinion about people say "late" instead of "later" ? Some of us say that...
Guest   Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:30 am GMT
You're a total fruitcake, Peter UK. Do they not have an expression like "whatever" used in the UK? I know German, Italian, etc., has their own version of it. Is UK English in your opinion on some higher plane than all other languages?
Guest   Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:31 am GMT
Do people hate the US so much that they attribute anything they see as negative as something belonging to the US? I know for a fact other languages like German have their own expressions for "whatever" "later", etc.

You Brits can be a real bunch of weirdos when it comes to the US.
Skippy   Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:33 am GMT
Egal welche. Cualquiera. :-P
Guest   Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:42 am GMT
<<However have to say it does irritate me when I hear the above three expressions, "whatever" to me is showing disrespect/rudeness, "later" shows language laziness and "duh" is impolite/discourteous. >>

What do you say in the UK to express the same things?

Lemme guess...

whatever - I don't give a rats arse
later - see you round mate
duh - you think so!

WOW SO MUCH BETTER!
Valley Girl and proud   Sat Jul 05, 2008 8:05 pm GMT
To Mr Stubbs

Re: Later, What-Ever and Duh.

Like that's just talking Dude and your soo gonna stop these words takin over -NOT!.

Vicky
hehehe