Aren't glottal stops used in Australian English?

Guest   Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:42 pm GMT
Glottal stops are not used in Australian English, aren't they? Are there any Australian Antimooners who are best qualified to answer this question?
Trawick   Tue Jul 01, 2008 2:07 pm GMT
Not generally (I'm assuming you're referring to the use of the glottal stop for intervocalic 't's). More typical is the alveolar tap, similar to American English and a number of other dialects.
Robb   Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:57 pm GMT
I've never heard an Australian use the glottal stop like the British do, but they may exist. What I mean is, I've never heard "wor'uh" (water) come from an Australian's mouth.
Reg   Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:47 am GMT
As I mentioned in the thread "Is glottal stop widely spread in the UK and US?", which is still on the forum, glottal stops are never heard in Australia, except from migrants and visitors.

This is rather interesting, as it suggests that few of Australia's migrants, who were overwhelmingly from the UK and Ireland until after World 2, used the glottal stop, indicating that its enormous usage in regional UK accents today is the consequence of relatively recent influences, and radio and television, particularly the latter, seem likely to be the catalysts.