Does this sentence make any sense?

Navid   Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:56 pm GMT
Does this sentence make any sense?

“Many thanks for showing your personality”

Dear student:
Please turn your mobile off before entering your class

“Many thanks for showing your personality”

This sentence is seen to be added at the bottom of a public request (the above request) in an Iranian language institute. I believe as the result of a phenomenon (interference of lerners' mother tongue) the Persian native speaker has produced such a sentence. Therefore several questions arise here:

1 – Do native English speakers use such a phrase “showing ones personality”?
2 – Do native speakers use such a sentence at the bottom of a public request? Is it natural to use such a sentence??
3 – What can be said instead of the phrase “showing your personality”?
Or does it make sense at all?
Guest   Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:00 pm GMT
Well, the phrase "Many thanks for showing your personality" is grammatically correct and has a meaning, but I don't understand what it's doing at the bottom of a sign. "showing your personality" has no special meaning in English and simply refers to displaying characteristics of your personality, the combined meaning of the individual words... It doesn't make any sense to put it on a sign requesting you to turn off your cell phone.
T   Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:10 pm GMT
I guess the logic behind this is, behaving oneself turning off the phone is showing one's personality trait.
Benny   Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:19 pm GMT
I'm guessing "personality" as it's used here is probably mistranslated from a word that means "consideration", which would make sense with the public admonition to turn off your cell phones.
Navid   Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:02 pm GMT
Thank you .

Benny! how did you find that this sentence is a mistranslation of another word? you're right to some extent.

Let me now clarify the case more!
does personality here refer to the high charachter of someone?

Are learners alowed to create such sentences? why?

Is this sentence common in english?
Guest   Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:32 pm GMT
Personality is the way you act. It can be good or bad. "showing your personality" might just as well be a bad thing as a good thing. It's not a commonly used phrase in English.
RayH   Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:39 am GMT
<Dear student:
<Please turn your mobile off before entering your class
<
<“Many thanks for showing your personality”
<3 – What can be said instead of the phrase “showing your personality”?

It doesn't make sense. My guess is that they wanted to say something like:
"Thank you for your cooperation."