Should English be renamed?

Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:50 am GMT
Since Americans are the majority group of English speakers, why don't we rename the language to "American"?

The British don't speak it well as us Americans and I thought we are rightful owners to the language.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:00 am GMT
How about Indian?
AJC   Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:06 am GMT
"The British don't speak it AS well as WE Americans and I THINK we are THE rightful owners OF the language."

Hope that helps. All best wishes in any case.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:08 am GMT
as good as + genitive

Yes? Or no?
Crisped   Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:58 am GMT
It's called English because that's where it origin lies, not because of amount of speakers.
meez   Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:41 am GMT
<<Since Americans are the majority group of English speakers>>

Who says that? It's just not true.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:07 am GMT
I suppose another possibility would be "British", since it's used many places in Britain.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:12 am GMT
Maybe in the very distant future it will be Earthish. Although probably other planets will speak Earthish too as they will be colonised by people from Earth. Maybe after some linguistic divergence we will have new dialects of Earthish, like Martian, or Europan or Galilean. In that regard, people will think of English as Romance speakers think of Latin today - as surely Earthish will evolve too back at home. It's not so far-fetched, after all, globalization's nullifying effects on language divergence will be quashed and we'll be back to the days of isolation, where languages are free to do as they wish.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 10:13 am GMT
How about just leave it as 'English'?
Wintereis   Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:14 pm GMT
I think it is obvious that the first poster is not a native speaker.
guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:19 pm GMT
<<I suppose another possibility would be "British", since it's used many places in Britain. >>

How about "United Kingdomish", "UKish" or "Anglo-Americanish"??? How do those grab you?

It already has a name. Leave it alone.
Amabo   Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:16 pm GMT
"Before anyone indulges this guy, please do realize this thread is a 'flame,' and the OP is looking for 'how dare you,' full-of-anger responses.

React accordingly."

Happy to oblige, mjd.

"Should English be renamed?"

No.

Next question please.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:43 pm GMT
This is definitely a troll. I don't think any American would say something like this, unless they're of the "Get a Brain Moran" variety.
Guest   Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:29 pm GMT
My vote's for Ukish, a real barbarian language!
Benny   Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:48 pm GMT
<<This is definitely a troll. I don't think any American would say something like this, unless they're of the "Get a Brain Moran" variety. >>

Brian Moran for President!