How often do you look up song lyrics

abc   Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:07 am GMT
out of lack of understanding them?
Guest   Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:09 am GMT
I'm a native speaker and I quite often don't understand a song in its entirety...

Or sometimes I see the lyrics of an old song and find out the singer actually said something different to what I had thought for years.
Bill in Los Angeles   Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:20 am GMT
ditto
K. T.   Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:47 am GMT
Rarely. But I didn't understand an old country song when it came out. My rather childish understanding of it was completely wrong.

"You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille.
Four hundred children an' a crop in the field.'

I was like, what? Is this song about a guy who runs an orphanage?

It's four hungry children, not four hundred.
Skippy   Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:59 am GMT
A lot of times it's difficult to understand song lyrics, but somehow I doubt this is only the case with English.
abc   Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:36 am GMT
Actually, in my native language, I do understand almost everything. That's why I was asking about English
KC   Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:45 am GMT
Well, its more to do with the type of music you listen to. For example, I have a very very VERY large range of tastes, starting from country songs to the most extreme death metal, with everything in between thrown in too. I seldom have difficulty with the slower, softer, pop-py songs, but I almost always have difficulty understanding the heavier, harder songs in their entirety.

But I never have to go and lookup the lyrics. There's this nifty plugin that I use with Winamp which automatically displays the lyrics to the song currently playing.
Uriel   Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:36 am GMT
I look them up all the time. I often have trouble understanding someone's delivery of a certain line, as singing to a tune isn't always exactly the same as talking, and things get distorted, or people have accents, or whatever.

What chaps my hide is when the lyrics online have obviously been posted by a fan and not the band, and are wrong, misspelled, or suspect in some other way. If I ruled the internet, bands would be required to post their own lyrics, so we would all have the final word on what the hell they were trying to sing!
abc   Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:47 am GMT
"What chaps my hide"
So like your pet peeve?
star   Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:02 pm GMT
I always look them up, because I like to learn how to sing them. I also try to buy the sheet music if it is available. I rarely misunderstand the lyrics, unless the instrumentals are turned up too loud.
Guest   Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:33 pm GMT
This song is impossible to understand:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=dEYh8wyBvOM
Uriel   Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:03 pm GMT
"Chaps my hide" = annoys, irritates, aggravates -- a colorful expression, I guess. ;)
Humble   Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:39 am GMT
Hi,

Could you be so kind as to get the missing words from Gallagher and Lyle"s evergreen "I want to stay with you" for me?
All I've found on the net has questionmarks instead.

Inside, outside, up and around
Love set me up and love let me down
What a game, feel like I ????
One day sun, next day rain

I can make out sth like "feel like I were the ...."

Thanks.
guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:38 pm GMT
Often
Guest   Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:29 am GMT
It's always amazing the lyrics you think you hear and what the lyrics really are. Example:

I hear

"I got the rockin' pneumonia, I need a shot of rhythm 'n blues.
I caught the rollin' off a writer sittin' down at a rhythm review."

and

"You know she wiggle like a glowworm, dance like a spinnin' top.
She got a crazy partner, you oughta see 'em reel and rock.
'Long as she got a dime, the music won' never stop."

But they're really:

"I got the rockin' pneumonia, I need a shot of rhythm and blues.
I think I'm rollin' arthritis Sittin' down by the rhythm review."

"You know she wiggles like a glowworm, Dance like a spinnin' top.
She got a crazy partner, Oughta see 'em reel and rock.
Long as she got a dime the music will never stop."