Can one detect racial identity from speech?

Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:11 pm GMT
<<<Afro-Americans (not the ones immigrated from Africa, but rather the descendants of the slaves brought to America) seem to have a certain way of speaking through which you can recognize them almost immediately.
>>>

Like Colin Powell, for example?
Elbart089   Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:38 pm GMT
<< Afro-Americans (not the ones immigrated from Africa, but rather the descendants of the slaves brought to America) seem to have a certain way of speaking through which you can recognize them almost immediately. >>

Of course not all of them speak like that, but most Americans know what I'm talking about.
Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:45 pm GMT
"All I have is that little anecdote, but at least in the US it seems that one can tell if a speaker is black or, to a degree, Hispanic and sometimes even Native American."

From Wikipedia:

The U.S. Office of Management and Budget currently defines "Hispanic or Latino" as "a person of Mexican, Puerto Rican, Cuban, South or Central American, or other Spanish culture or origin, regardless of race".

Hispanic is no a race, so what are we talking about?
Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:41 pm GMT
<< Hispanic is no a race, so what are we talking about? >>

If "Hispanic" is not a race, neither is "Asian".
At least the Hispanics have a common language.
Two of the largest "Asian" countries have nothing in common except that they're both "Asian".
JohnnyC   Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:48 pm GMT
<<Hispanic is no a race, so what are we talking about?>>

Well, this should be obvious, even to the most casual observer, but the question of racial identity and speech is silly. What we're really talking about is geographic location and speech. A "Hispanic person", or in other words, a person of Spanish culture and origin is frequently a native speaker of Spanish, and as such, that person will usually display speech characteristics that we associate with a "Spanish accent". As such, a Hispanic person (or Latino, be it a Mexican, Columbian, etc) can sometimes be identified by listening to their speech. Obviously a person whose grandparents immigrated to the US from CUBA in 1921 may not have any accent at all that would identify his grandparents' country of origin, especially if the person was born and raised in an area where there were no Spanish speakers.
Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:02 pm GMT
<<<<Of course not all of them speak like that, but most Americans know what I'm talking about. >>>>

And the rest of the world is here also. This is not a private, American, party.
Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:04 pm GMT
<<Well, this should be obvious, even to the most casual observer, but the question of racial identity and speech is silly. >>

Is it any sillier than threads you've posted recently, JohnnyC?
Elbart089   Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:30 pm GMT
<< And the rest of the world is here also. This is not a private, American, party. >>

American culture is being spread all over the world. So don't worry, they understand. ;-)
JohnnyC   Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:16 am GMT
<<Like Colin Powell, for example?>>

Exactly like Colin Powell. Good thinking. You're getting the hang of this.

<<And the rest of the world is here also. This is not a private, American, party. >>

I didn't see you on the invite list. And it's a private Armenian-American party, for your information.

<<American culture is being spread all over the world. So don't worry, they understand. ;-) >>

Right ON, Elbart. Even the person who posted that it's not an American party (which is wrong) understands because he's learned our language!

<<Is it any sillier than threads you've posted recently, JohnnyC? >>

So, Molly MorganB, you think the race/language question is valid? Please tell me you agree with the premise of that question. Pretty please.
Guest   Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:06 am GMT
JohnnyC, wake up to your own ignorance. In one thread you're rambling about the most pedantic of things (how does a dialect have a face! lol) and how we can't be inventive at all using our language, and here you are in this thread shrugging of details because it's "silly".

Wake up to the concept of "consistency in one's arguments".
Uriel   Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:19 am GMT
And the answer is: sometimes. Depends on the speaker.
JohnnyC   Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:22 am GMT
<<and here you are in this thread shrugging of details because it's "silly".>>

And yet.. you still haven't explained how one can detect racial identity from speech alone and thus why the question of this thread is not absolutely silly on its face. And speaking of faces, yes, I would like to know how an idiolect can have one. Got ya there didn't I, cowgirl?

But I forgot, you're not supposed to address me or Mr. P or even think about us. So, since you have this obsession with me, I will make you a promise. I predict this will happen.... it may be tonight, maybe tomorrow or next week, but the next time you find yourself in an amorous situation, or even thinking or fantasizing about love, you will think of JohnnyC. You already have an image of me in your head. The next time you think about sex, you will conjure up the image you've made of me in your head, and voila... You won't be able to stop thinking of me. You may laugh now, but this happens with women who dig me, even when I'm not into them. I'm not into you Molly-Morgan because I think you're a hillbilly. You've already admitted that you speak a filthy dialect or some sort of pigeon gibberish. But it doesn't matter. You'll conjure me right up anyway, probably *because* I'm not into you. Wake up to JohnnyC baby! You dig me.
Guest   Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:27 am GMT
"Sour-faced idiolect"

It's called FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE. It is clearly referring to the speakers of the idiolect, or that it makes you sour-faced when you speak it.

Jesus Christ, what is with you? Are you a dumb mofo?
Guest   Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:29 am GMT
<<It's called FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE. It is clearly referring to the speakers of the idiolect, or that it makes you sour-faced when you speak it.

Jesus Christ, what is with you? Are you a dumb mofo?>>

No use trying to convince JohnnyC, you don't get much more stubborn than someone who believes the earth is 6000 years old.
JohnnyC   Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:38 am GMT
<<Jesus Christ, what is with you? Are you a dumb mofo?>>

You so dig me. But what about the detecting race from hearing someone speak? Do you really think that's a serious question or do you think it's a stupid question? I think it's a stupid question. I mean seriously, how could a person possibly tell another person's race from hearing them talk? Sure, some people of some races share a common accent when they share a common geographical area or are descendants of people from the same area and they've maintained the accent of previous generations, but does anyone really think the accent is somehow stored in the DNA and it's not culture or geography that gvie srise to a person's general pronunciation (I mean aside from things like a lect palate or having too many teeth)? Can any educated person believe that an accent can be stored in DNA? Do *you* believe that? I'm hoping you'll tell me you believe that and that it's not a stupid question, like the one about the idiolect having a face because I'm laughing my ass off just thinking about that! You're fucking hilarious. Don't go changin' to try to please me babe.