Rupert Everett's accent

Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:48 am GMT
What kind of accent does he have? Is it posh or pretentious? Or is it just normal English English RP?
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:36 pm GMT
Well, judge for yourself. What do you think? Posh? Pretentious? Perhaps both......

This clip is from his very first film "Another Country", set in the 1930s at an exclusively posh English public school, with Rupert playing the part of Guy Burgess, who eventually, in later life, became a spy for the Russians fo which he was never allowed back into England.

Since then Rupert has played all sorts of roles in all sorts of film scenarios, and if you listen to him talking today it's clear that his accent has lost a lot of his orginal "poshness" - becoming your average bog standard RP English Englsh with even touches of Estuary.

He was born in Norfolk, England, on 29 May 1959. Cripes! (as he would say!) - that means he will be 50 next year! So ancient, but he doesn't look it. I met him nearly two years ago in a book store here when he personally signed a copy of his autobiography for me after I'd bought it (he included a really cool comment!)

He looked more like 35 to 40 or something and he had a wee bit of a stubbly beard and beards do tend to make guys look older I think.

The autobio is called "Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins". (Pub. by Little, Brown Co. 2006). He comes from a wealthy background, his father being a high powered business man as well as being a former officer in the Duke of Edinburgh's Wiltshire Regiment of the British Army, with family homes in the country as well as on Cheyne (pronounced as CHAIN-ee) Row, Chelsea, a very exlusive part of South West Central London. He went to public school so with his backgorund "posh" English English was inevitable, but as I say it's become more "standard Southern English now with hints of Estuary - the standard for Middle Class Southern and South Eastern England.

Rupert Everett as he was in "Another Country":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlQWTHrrd-Q&feature=related
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:49 am GMT
For reasons best known to You Tube the above link seems to have vanished into the ether.....what delicate flowers the YT guys in charge of ops seem to be...what planet do they live on? Anyway, this is the updated Rupert Everett accent, speaking the way he does now and not the way he did when he appeared in "Another Country" when he was a mere sapling playing the part of a guy called Guy Bennett, modelled on the real life future spy Guy Burgess, who was banished to Moscow where he died a rather lonely, estranged Brit among the Commie Russkies, forbidden by the British Government ever to return to his native land again before he snuffed it.

In this clip Rupert is talking about his book "Red Carpets and Other Banana Skins". I have to agree with one of the correspondents in the link who said that his literary style is a wee bit boring.....it is, I'm afaid.

In real life he looks even taller than he appears on screen.

I loved watching him play the part of David Blakeley in the film "Dance With a Stranger", a real life character in a true story in 1950s London /rural Buckinghamshire, England, when Blakeley, a devilishly handsome, devilishly wealthy and well connected, but equally devilishly philandering playboy professional motor racer became emotionally involved with a London night club hostess called Ruth Ellis. She was infatuated with him, although she was married with a young kid, and he used her disgracefully, but in the end his cheating ways forced her to shoot him dead outside a pub in Hampstead, London (the Magdala public house, at the southern end of Hampstead Heath) on Easter Sunday evening in 1955, for which she was hanged the following July, the last woman to be hanged in Britain. The last male hanging (execution) in Britain was in the early 1960s since when the death penalty here was abolished for good, and under the terms of the European Convention will never be re-introduced, no matter what the crime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LFjhVwRSZw&feature=related
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:08 pm GMT
<<In real life he looks even taller than he appears on screen.>>

That's interesting. Usually when you see actors in real life they look both older and shorter than on screen.