What is the most important language for Catholic people?

Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:44 pm GMT
... oops Jesus spoke also Old Hebrew.
K. T.   Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:45 pm GMT
Why wouldn't Jesus speak Hebrew as well?
K. T.   Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:46 pm GMT
I see the "oops" message.
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:55 pm GMT
English
Skippy   Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:58 pm GMT
It depends. If you have to pick one, I'd say Spanish, because most practicing Catholics, as far as I can tell, are in South and Central America.
PARISIEN   Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:16 pm GMT
<< Why wouldn't Jesus speak Hebrew as well? >>
-- Because Hebrew was a dead language by then. But certainly he could read at least a little bit of it.

Jesus spoke Aramaic and most probably knew some Greek since it was the default lingua franca in the whole Eastern Mediterranean area.

I sincerely doubt he spoke any Latin.
Latin never made it in the parts of Roman Empire where Greek was previously there. Even in Italy, Naples was still entirely Greek speaking at the time the competing Latin city nearby (Pompei) was destroyed.
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:35 pm GMT
English
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:43 pm GMT
Clearly, the ancient languages in which the Bible was written! What else?

Btw, does God speak Polari?
K. T.   Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:44 pm GMT
I know that Mel Gibson did the film (never saw it) about the passion of the Christ and I believe they used a kind of Aramaic, but if Christ taught in the temple at the age of twelve and astounded those there, then I wouldn't be surprised if he spoke Hebrew and was able to explain the scriptures in detail, but then one would wonder how he KNEW this given his background.
Guest   Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:53 pm GMT
The most important language for Catholic people is their own language, duh. It means nothing to me if there are more Spanish or Portuguese believers.
Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:12 am GMT
English
Arnaud   Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:39 am GMT
For "Guest" that write English,

Could you put your neurons to work and give us a convincing argument? English-speaking countries have nothing to do in the world Catholic.
Elbart089   Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:41 am GMT
English is the most important language to the Catholic people.
Next to Latin perhaps, but Latin, at least the classical one used in liturgies is "dead", and modern Catholics are split up into many different languages. English is de facto the lingua franca of today, this also holds true for the Catholics.
Guest   Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:01 pm GMT
Nah, English actually is not the lingua franca for Catholics.
Elbart089   Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:37 pm GMT
English actually is the lingua franca for Catholics.

Welcome to the 21st century. ;)