English test

Tanja   Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:09 pm GMT
oh thank you, where do you come from exactly (amercia), uriel???
and where do the others come from??? I would be interessing in where do they are coming from!!!
Tanja   Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:11 pm GMT
oh what i am asking too, do anyone know the soap "gilmore girls"????
lida   Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:48 pm GMT
No, I don't think your dictionary is incorrect but maybe your dictionary is using and showing both American English and British Engish.I would like you to correct me if I'm mistaken once again. But accoriding to Longman dictionary of Contemporary English, Cambridge Learner's dictionary and Oxford Student's Dictionary it is good AT something. In Oxford Practical English Usage published by Oxford it is given a clear explanation of using the right preposition with good. It says:
good at (not in)
Are you any good at tennis?
Uriel   Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:44 am GMT
I am from Las Cruces, New Mexico, near the New Mexico/Texas/Mexico border. Where in Austria are you from? I was born next door, in Bavaria.

I have seen a few episodes of the Gilmore Girls, although I'm not sure it's the kind of show that I think of as a "soap". It's pretty funny, but I don't watch very much TV, so I don't keep up with it regularly.
pko'   Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:34 pm GMT
op';lp;
Guest   Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:58 pm GMT
<<<<<<
My dictionay says you can say either "I'm good AT English.," or "I'm good IN English."
>>>>>>
This's interesting. What dictionary do you use, Tetsuo?

I remember seeing the phrase "good in English" more than once in English grammar books, but they're written by non-natives. I think it's wrong, but I'm not quite sure.

So I have a question for native speakers in this forum: how do you feel about the sentence "I am good in English"?
Mxsmanic   Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:46 pm GMT
Both forms are acceptable, and they can be used interchangeably in many instances.

Being good _in_ English vaguely implies that you are taking a class in it; being good _at_ English vaguely implies that using English is a skill you've acquired. Thus, students would be somewhat more likely to say "I'm good in English" than would non-students.
Larissa   Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:39 pm GMT
"Remember
I'm good AT English not I'm good in." Don't Americans say "good IN English, good IN math"? And don't they say I'm IN school instead of I'm AT school? Please correct me if I'm wrong! thanks
Guest   Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:40 pm GMT
you're wrong! Thanks
Larissa   Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:45 pm GMT
Really? lol
Guest   Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:52 pm GMT
" lol " is that all you can say when you're an embarrasment to yourself and your countrymen? Stupid child.
Larissa   Sun Dec 25, 2005 9:55 pm GMT
hey u guest, listen, I'm not here to argue with someone ok? so leave me alone plz
Guest   Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:04 pm GMT
I'm not a dog, and for that matter learn to write proper English.
You are an irritating spoilled brat.Bugger off.
Larissa   Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:12 pm GMT
"learn to write proper English" hey u, my English is not very good and I know that, I'm trying and I'm here to improve it, and please don't tell me what I have to do ok? Mind ur own business ok?
Guest   Sun Dec 25, 2005 10:19 pm GMT
I suppose 'u(r)' means 'you(r)'? Stupid child... I don't want to mind your business, I don't want to have anything to do with you. Yet you keep prostituting yourself and your stupidity to this website.