Favourable stigmatised forms

JohnnyC   Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:02 pm GMT
Travis, as usual your post is informative and detailed. I always enjoy your posts, as I do those of Damien, Jinx, Greg and Skippy. All of you provide significant detail in your posts and your arguments, even if they're not popular are clear. I always come away feling like I have a better understanding of the issue, perhaps because of your expertis eon the linguistic landscapes of your respective regions. I don't see a lot of emotional arguments or PC constraints from you, just good information allowing the reader to draw his or her own conclusions. What a breath of fresh air.
Spirit   Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:53 pm GMT
-I always come away feling like I have a better understanding of the issue,

What's "feling"?
Guest   Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:56 pm GMT
<<My use of "pigeon" is intended to denigrate the word "pidgin". I use it to display my feeling that speaking pidgin is almost like an animal's communication.>>

How can a manner of speaking be a bird? That makes less sense than an idiolect having a face.
JohnnyC   Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:29 am GMT
<<How can a manner of speaking be a bird? That makes less sense than an idiolect having a face.>>

No.. its your reading comprehension issue causing you to misunderstand, again. It's not that the manner of speaking is a bird. It's the manner of speaking that is like the utterances of birds... specifically pigeons. Another way to say it is people who speak that dialect are, intellectually on the level of poultry.

<<That makes less sense than an idiolect having a face.>>

I'm glad you finally came around on that one and you agree with me that an idiolect cannot have a face.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:36 am GMT
<<I'm glad you finally came around on that one>>

What are you talking about? How can you 'come around' an abstract idea? It has no location.
JohnnyC   Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:39 am GMT
What are you talking about? How can you 'come around' an abstract idea? It has no location.

Am I talking or writing? Are you experiencing synethesia? Are you hearing the words on the page and sniffing your computer screen again? You're only posting on this forum because I'm here aren't you. You dig me, cowgirl!
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:43 am GMT
<<You dig me, cowgirl!>>

I repeat, how can I dig you if you're not soil? And what is a cowgirl? I didn't know genetic modification had become so advanced.
JohnnyC   Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:36 am GMT
<<I didn't know genetic modification had become so advanced.>>
I'm the soil from which you draw nourishment.
The problem is you have this fixation with me but at the same time your inferiority complex is a turn off. I'm starting to get the imprssion this relationship isnt going to work no matter how much you dig me babe.
TheFaceOfTheIdiolect   Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:58 am GMT
<<draw nourishment. >>

You'd have to be a really great artist to draw an abstract concept like that.

<<your inferiority complex is a turn off>>

My inferiority complex is a switch? How exactly? What does my inferiority complex have to do with electricity?
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:41 am GMT
<It's the manner of speaking that is like the utterances of birds... specifically pigeons. >

I think you'll find that "cooing" is seen as quite positive, JC. You're wrong again. Admit it, your English usage is often crap.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:45 am GMT
<What does my inferiority complex have to do with electricity? >

You're a bit AC/DC.
Guest   Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:49 am GMT
In casual speech I say words like 'aks', 'breasteses', 'romantical', etc. Example: "Let me aks you a question", "Check out the breasteses on her", "I was feeling a little romantical." I know it's looked upon as uneducated, but I can't help talking this way when I'm with my friends.