ROOM rhyming with FOOD.. ROOM rhyming with FOOT (AE)

JLukeItaly   Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:26 pm GMT
Ok I'm pretty sure tha vast majority of the American People (at least that I know of), say words such as room, roof, and so on, rhyming with FOOD. I've been listening to a lot of audiobook lately, and in one of them , the speaker says ROOM rhyming with FOOT, in fact the word sounds like RHUM, the liquor.
Where in the US can we find this peculiarity?
It's just out of curiosity :) thanks
Bye
guest   Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:33 pm GMT
<<room, roof, and so on, rhyming with FOOD>>

Not "rhyming" with ("mood" rhymes with "food"), but having the same vowel sound, but I know what you mean.

I live in the US southeast. ANd even still, I rarely come across--even in media--the pronunciations for 'room' and 'roof' you mention above, though I have heard them. I think this is a New England type of pronunciation.

It is not general.
JLukeItaly   Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:40 pm GMT
Oh you're right!!! not Rhyming, but having the same sound in the middle... well, whatever, sorry for the mistake :)
Anyway thanks for the answer, is it possible that's a peculiarity of "old" people? I've talked about this with a friend of mine who's born in NYC, and she told me old people say that, like the ones who say the "wh" sound emphasizing the H sound (hw).
I heard Room pronounced as "Rhum" is a british thing too, is that true?
cheers
Trawicks   Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:23 pm GMT
"Room" pronounced is /r\Um/ is common in parts of New England and the midwest, but I'm unsure of exact geographical boundaries. This change appears to be post-rhotic in nature, as I've also heard someone from the Chicago area pronounce "roots" as /rUts/.
guest   Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:06 pm GMT
<<"Room" pronounced is /r\Um/ is common in parts of New England and the midwest, but I'm unsure of exact geographical boundaries. This change appears to be post-rhotic in nature, as I've also heard someone from the Chicago area pronounce "roots" as /rUts/. >>

I was about to say the Midwest too, but wasn't absolutely sure. I've heard Chicagoans pronounce 'roof' as /rUf/.

Thanks for confirming that!
room   Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:01 pm GMT
i have a friend who is from new orleans and she says roof has the sound of foot. my mom also does the hw sound for what. her first husband's name was whittington and she and my half brothers pronounce their last name as hwittington.

by the way i was raised in louisiana but live in mississippi. my half brothers are from ms as well
Travis   Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:12 pm GMT
In most speech today here in Milwaukee, the normal citation forms for "roof" and "root" are found are [ˈʁuf] and [ˈʁuʔ(t)], but in everyday informal speech, particularly in dialect, these are frequently heard in alternation with [ˈʁʊf] and [ˈʁʊʔ(t)], particularly when unstressed. On the other hand, though, "room" is always [ˈʁũːm] here, with no such alternation. Just for the sake of reference, "food" and "foot" are [ˈfuːd̥] and [ˈfʊʔ(t)] here.

On the other hand, there is no survival of the distinction between /w/ and /ʍ/ in the dialect or the local variant of GA as learned natively here, with any such distinction being used (commonly realized as [w] versus [hʍ]) being purely learned here.