Public School means Private School in the UK?

George   Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:05 pm GMT
Yeah, you are confusing two things. One is charging fees the other is selection based on ability. You are right a comprehensive school does not select pupils based on ability and does not charge fees. A grammar school does select based on ability, but also does not charge fees. This selection was made on the basis of the eleven plus exam (and if fact a few grammar schools and the eleven plus exam still exist, but not many children take it). The majority of grammar schools were abolished along with the lower level secondary modern schools in favour of comprehensive schools, but all of these schools were funded by the state and did not charge fees.

As for understanding what public school means, I'm 29 too, so I imagine the problem is that you live in Essex :). Oh well, you seem to understand, so keep spreading the word... :)
Caspian   Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:52 pm GMT
What do you mean 'REAL'? You are trying to say that American came before British?
indiced   Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:10 pm GMT
Gosh...what a mess...

Study in Poland...almost everything there is REALLY free of costs;P
George   Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:48 am GMT
Indiced,

Okay, I'll send my kids to school in Poland and you can come to Britain and earn a living :)

(There is free schooling available for everyone in Britain, it's just that there are also some fee charging public schools, if you want to send your kids there. The system has changed over time, which has lead to a number of names floating around.)