will - be going to

Russconha   Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:42 am GMT
Can anyone explain the finer details of the difference of this.

eg; I will watch TV tomorrow

or

I am going to watch TV tomorrow
Skippy   Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:48 am GMT
"I am going to watch TV tomorrow."

It's late and I'm tired so I'm not going to attempt a coherent reason, I'll revisit tomorrow and make an attempt if no one else has :-)
Humble   Tue Jul 22, 2008 5:30 am GMT
Hi,

http://www.longman.com/
be going to vs. will
George   Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:38 am GMT
Hmm, I've been reading a couple of things about the differences, but I'm not convinced there's much practical difference in usage.

Here's my view as a native speaker (although I'm not a teacher).

I think 'going to' is slightly less formal. Although always fine in conversation, it might be less frequent in written work. It usually refers to things relative near in time to the present, but can be further in the future when it's something you've planned, like a holiday; 'I'm going to Portugal in the Spring.'

'Will' seems to be prefered if you talk about things which you might not really want to do, but are required to do. 'I will go to the supermarket (if I really have to).'

I can't think of an example where one is okay and the other isn't. To me at least, it's more about emphasis and style.
Guest   Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:08 pm GMT
'I'm going to' implies more of a concrete intention. 'Will' implies, either, as the word itself suggests, more a willingness to do something, or maybe more a possibility i.e. 'I think I will watch TV tomorrow'.
Guest   Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:18 pm GMT
In speech, these two sentences are:

1) "I'll watch TV tomorrow."

2) "I'm gonna watch TV tomorrow."

To me, 2) sounds more neutral. 1) could be used in special circumstances, for example:

"After paying $100 per month for that fancy cable service, you oughtta watch TV every day.

Stop pestering me -- I'll watch TV tomorrow."
guest   Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:41 pm GMT
<<'I'm going to Portugal in the Spring.'>>

George,
Do you mean:
'I'm going to *GO TO* Portugal in the Spring.'?

Otherwise, it doesn't fit the same model for this future tense comparison, although it does show another form of the future, which is identical to the present indicative (eg. I leave tomorrow at noon.)
Guest   Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:08 pm GMT
Going to is replacing will in cases both going to and will can be used

(like in

Tomorrow, the weather will be sunny, 90 F.
Tomorrow, the weather's gonna be sunny, 90F)

Will is still strong in

1. distant future: eventually, everyone will be rich and happy
2. immediate non-planned action: ding dong! - I'll get the door
guest   Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:28 pm GMT
<<Going to is replacing will in cases both going to and will can be used
>>

I don't think one form will ever replace the other because 1). they don't mean the exact same thing (there is differentiation) and 2). one form ("will") is shorter than the other ("going to"), which lends to varied meter and directness.

SOmetimes I prefer to use "will" because it's fewer syllables and just sounds better in certain occasions--and that's the only reason. Sure, I could use "going to" as well, but that is too lengthy.

Both will go on for these and probably other reasons.

Let's not be duicy ("stupid") and start making absolute statements just for the sheer heck of it. --Why?
George   Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:56 pm GMT

<George,
Do you mean:
'I'm going to *GO TO* Portugal in the Spring.'? >

Yes. Sorry about that.
Guest   Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:25 pm GMT

<George,
Do you mean:
'I'm going to *GO TO* Portugal in the Spring.'? >

>>Yes. Sorry about that.<<

But actually what he wrote first is more likely in this instance. Present continuous can also be used to denote future.
Guest   Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:48 pm GMT
''Let's not be duicy ("stupid") and start making absolute statements just for the sheer heck of it. --Why?''

A recent survey in Canadian English found WILL is more used by older people while GOING TO is preferred by younger people. So, there is a difference.
Guest   Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:51 pm GMT
http://individual.utoronto.ca/tagliamonte/new_TE.html#future

The use of 'go' future in Toronto

There are two main forms used to express the future in Toronto: will, and going to.

1. Music’s gonna evolve and change, so language will evolve and change too.
2. If it’s gonna be that much of an inconvenience, I’ll just do it myself.
3. There’s one lady there, she’s going to be ninety. She’ll be ninety-years-old.
4. I’m afraid that she’s going to get annoyed of me. Eventually she will but yeah it’s great.

Will and going to are in competition across the board. However, among younger speakers going to is rising. Will going to overtake will? Only time will tell.
Travis   Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:53 pm GMT
>>I think 'going to' is slightly less formal. Although always fine in conversation, it might be less frequent in written work. It usually refers to things relative near in time to the present, but can be further in the future when it's something you've planned, like a holiday; 'I'm going to Portugal in the Spring.'<<

I myself would have to say that the use of the "going to" future is an important marker of what could be called "standard colloquial English" as opposed to literary English - that is, English that is not normal formal literary English usage but which is very much standard in all but the most extremely formal spoken English.