English lovers: are you left-brained or right-brained?

Jasper   Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:10 pm GMT
I believe that most lovers of English-learning--and lovers of linguistics in general--might be left-brained. (The left side of the brain is associated with language development).

If you all would take this two-second test to determine which side of your brains dominate, I'd be much obliged.

http://snipurl.com/33sqz
[www_news_com_au]
Guest   Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:38 pm GMT
Right brain here.
Caspian   Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:55 pm GMT
I'm native English (British), and I am a 'lover of linguistics'. I'm right-brained - no matter how hard I try, I can't see it the other way!
Guest   Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:59 pm GMT
I'm a language-lover too, but I'm very right brained. But on that picture I can switch effortlessly.
Antonio from RJ   Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:01 pm GMT
First off, clock-wise straight through! = RIGHT
But some 2 minutes later, after reading all instructions and trying to change it towards anti-clock..... NO GOOD :S
Until I begin to read something on my table, then, suddenly, the lass began to turn anti-clock.

So, the answer is: IT IS RANDOM. I´m sure.

cheers
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:04 am GMT
That picture doesn't really tell you if you're left or right brained.
Lazar   Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:28 am GMT
Well I'm skeptical of pop neuroscience, but for what it's worth I'm right brained according to the test - it takes several minutes of concentration before I can interpret the rotation as counter-clockwise. (It's hard for me to figure out which of the two stereotypes I adhere more closely to.) In any case, I'm a lover of languages and linguistics, including English.
zatsu   Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:51 am GMT
Not sure if I'm an English lover, but I can see the ballerina turning both ways... It's very weird too!
Maybe it's just a matter of focusing?
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:03 am GMT
I'm left handed if that's any sort of guide. According to the list of characteristics to the left of the dancing lassie I appear to be left brained as well.....most of the time. I drive on the left, also I usually keep to the left on pavements and pathways, but politically? Not quite so lefty leaning...most of the time.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 7:09 am GMT
Neuro-pseudoscience is degrading society. This right/left brain is just a gimmick, it is a morally corrupt perturbation of solid science by crackpots who like ripping people away from their wads of plastic coated paper. This right/left brain nonsense is not something which you should be thinking about provided your wills are free and you're not under the influence of hallucinogenic remedial herbs.
saliou   Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:13 pm GMT
I'am from senegal , my english is not so good.

Who can explain me exectly what is about right or left brain.

I know that i like numbers and I like thinking.
Antonio from RJ   Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:21 pm GMT
Nothing convinces me that stuff about the dummy isn´t tosh. I have received that not long ago at work. I believe everyone has...
It´s probably a hoax with a random timer programmed inside.
But - correct me if I get it wrong: I do everything with both hands, even write; BUT prefer the *left* for such task. That means the opposite side of my brain is more active, right? left-handed =>right side of brain
Guest   Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:42 am GMT
I can't see her turn anti-clockwise. It won't switch. So I guess I'm really right-brain.
Guest   Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:47 am GMT
No you're not "right brained". "Right brained" is a myth propagated by new age hyppies.
Guest   Sat Jul 26, 2008 6:01 am GMT
<<BUT prefer the *left* for such task.>>

... I'm almost afraid to ask... But what's that task?
And yeah, it seems the left part of the body is commanded by the opposite side of the brain, and vice-versus.