colored people, Afro-American

Guest   Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:16 pm GMT
Is it ok to use these or are they just so 1970s?
Caspian   Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:21 pm GMT
A lot of them honestly don't mind being called black - I am not being racist, no offence, but the ones I have met seriously don't mind it. It is patronising to be politically correct
Guest   Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:36 pm GMT
A lot of black Americans don't object to being called black. It is usually the "culturally sensitive" white Americans who go around "correcting" people who use the term "black". Same thing with "oriental". I doubt that many Asian-Americans object to being called "oriental", but somehow these same PC white Americans get their panties in a bunch when you use that term to describe "Asians".

"colored people" or "colored" are terms that sounds like throwbacks to another era.
Benny   Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:05 pm GMT
Afro-American was used for a very short time in the late 60s or early 70s and never caught on in a big way. If you use it now, people will not likely be offended, but they will look at you funny. It will probably amuse them.

It's an odd thing, political correctness. You can say "person of color" but if you say, "colored person" people who are sensitive will pretend to be offended. It's not PC to say "colored person" as it is very 1950s and hypersensitive people will be offended. Usually the people most offended are silly white people who believe it's their job to police the speech of everyone else.

As for "black", that word seems to have spanned a very long time period and is still completely acceptable. Most white people I know and many black people now say "African American". But it's not mandatory and it's too many syllables, so as long as I hear black people saying "black", I'm sticking with it.
Skippy   Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:13 am GMT
It's either "black" or "African-American." Most prefer "black" but it varies.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:45 am GMT
What about "pigmented people" or "heavy absorbers"?
George   Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:24 am GMT
>>Most white people I know and many black people now say "African American". But it's not mandatory and it's too many syllables, so as long as I hear black people saying "black", I'm sticking with it.<<

Black people also say 'nigger', but that term is seen as offensive when used by non-blacks, so is best avoided.

I'm not really a fan of the term African-American. In fact, if I was a black American I would find it slightly annoying. The term African-American somehow says to me they are not quite Americans, something most Americans seem to view as an insult. That isn't really the intended meaning, but I can't help but think that way. Why are white Americans just American but black Americans African-Americans?

I once had to describe the physical appearance of someone to a policeman. They asked, 'Were they African-American?' Well, I didn't know, I just saw them. They were certainly black, but I didn't think to ask then what their citizenship was.

Equally, I think it's a shame some people look down on the term Oriental. I think it's a very beautiful word and somehow suggests wisdom and thoughtfulness. The problem seems to be that people think it somehow can only refer to an object, an Oriental rug, perhaps. Fortunately, this silly idea doesn't seem to pass over to Persian rugs. I would love to see this word rescued and bought into wider use.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:31 am GMT
<<I once had to describe the physical appearance of someone to a policeman. They asked, 'Were they African-American?' Well, I didn't know, I just saw them. They were certainly black, but I didn't think to ask then what their citizenship was.>>

So now you can't describe an offender because they might be insulted?

Policeman: 'who raped you?'
Woman: 'sorry I can't say because it might be offensive or generalise an entire race'
Policeman: 'ok, have it your way, now bend over bitch'
George   Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:06 am GMT
Yes you can say.

I just described them as black. To call them African-American would have been an assumption and not a description of what I saw.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:14 am GMT
To say they're black is also an assumption as they could be badly sunburnt white people or white people who've had a MJ style operation.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:34 am GMT
No amount of sunburning can make a white person look black.
Bill in Los Angeles   Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:32 pm GMT
<<Equally, I think it's a shame some people look down on the term Oriental. I think it's a very beautiful word and somehow suggests wisdom and thoughtfulness. The problem seems to be that people think it somehow can only refer to an object, an Oriental rug, perhaps.>>

I saw firsthand the transition from "oriental" to "Asian" and was caught in it actually. I remmber hearing that "oriental" had been deemed "offensive" by the PC crowd and that most Asians themselves were now using the term "Asian". I continued to use "oriental" and was reprimanded by a woman of Japanese decent.... I was puzzled because "oriental" did not have the connotation of a slur, it was simply a directional designation. "Ahh," said my female part-Japanese friend, "that's the problem... 'oriental' means 'East'. East of where? East of Europe and the US. It's offensive to be designated as 'Eastern' in relation to *someone else's* position on the compass". So there you have it. Of course, the PC crowd would not have needed the directional issue to make the word offensive. It would have sufficed to simply declare it as such.

<<Fortunately, this silly idea doesn't seem to pass over to Persian rugs>>

In Soutehrn California there are approximately 1 million people who ideitify themselves as "Persian" (which they prefer, almost universally, over 'Iranian'). Now that we're 30 years out from the Islamic revolution, there's a substantial number who were born here in the US. They're among the most un-PC people you'll meet.
Bill in Los Angeles   Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:43 pm GMT
<<Equally, I think it's a shame some people look down on the term Oriental. I think it's a very beautiful word and somehow suggests wisdom and thoughtfulness. The problem seems to be that people think it somehow can only refer to an object, an Oriental rug, perhaps.>>

I saw firsthand the transition from "oriental" to "Asian" and was caught in it actually. I remmber hearing that "oriental" had been deemed "offensive" by the PC crowd and that most Asians themselves were now using the term "Asian". I continued to use "oriental" and was reprimanded by a woman of Japanese decent.... I was puzzled because "oriental" did not have the connotation of a slur, it was simply a directional designation. "Ahh," said my female part-Japanese friend, "that's the problem... 'oriental' means 'East'. East of where? East of Europe and the US. It's offensive to be designated as 'Eastern' in relation to *someone else's* position on the compass". So there you have it. Of course, the PC crowd would not have needed the directional issue to make the word offensive. It would have sufficed to simply declare it as such.

<<Fortunately, this silly idea doesn't seem to pass over to Persian rugs>>

In Soutehrn California there are approximately 1 million people who ideitify themselves as "Persian" (which they prefer, almost universally, over 'Iranian'). Now that we're 30 years out from the Islamic revolution, there's a substantial number who were born here in the US. They're among the most un-PC people you'll meet.
Guest   Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:57 pm GMT
>>I once had to describe the physical appearance of someone to a policeman. They asked, 'Were they African-American?' <<

That reminds me of the time I had my credit card stolen here in the UK. I went to the police station to report it, and the first thing I was asked (ok probably second after gender). Was 'Were they black or white?' They happened to be white, so I said that but afterwards I thought, well what if they were Chinese or Indian? And even if you classify everyone who isn't of European descent as 'black', what does asking that question really tell any one? If I had said she was black, what would that have told them? Why not ask what race they appeared to be? That such a pointless question can be asked just shows the extent to which people's thinking is still racist, that all that matters is whether you are white or not.
Bill in Los Angeles   Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:03 pm GMT
<<They happened to be white, so I said that but afterwards I thought, well what if they were Chinese or Indian?>>

That is interesting. Is there an assumption in the UK that only black people and white people steal? or more accurately, is there an assumption that Indians or Asians do not steal?