you know...

Amabo   Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:53 am GMT
hurrrrrrghhhhh:

"None of these complaints are new, as demonstrated by Humble up there. Deal with it and stop whining."

Indeed.

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along now.
Achab   Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:09 am GMT
Humble,

Very nice of you to transcribe more from that Thurber's essay.

What's the title of the book you're quoting from?

With my best you-know's,

Achab
keitsith   Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:03 pm GMT
Also, i believe that "you know" is a casual way to create connivance bounds between two interlocutors.

Japanese people use "-ne" at the end of their sentences to create such bounds.

e.g
"oishi dess" -> "it's delicious"
"oishi dess ne" -> "it's delicious (and you know it too)"

or, similarly, French people use "tu vois" ("you see")
Humble   Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:10 am GMT
Achab,
the essay itself is very short – less than two pages. This paperback was published in the USSR, Leningrad. It contains humorous stories and essays by British and American authors.
I doubt it could be found even in Russia now.
Achab   Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:50 pm GMT
Humble,

Okay, but why don't you live up to your nickname and tell us the title of that book instead of keeping it a secret? :-)

Thanksgivingly yours,

Achab
Humble   Mon Aug 04, 2008 7:39 am GMT
Achab,
You know, I just didn’t see the point. OK, here you are: “Laugh”, Þìîðèñòè÷åñêèå ðàññêàçû àíãëèéñêèõ è àìåðèêàíñêèõ ïèñàòåëåé, Ëåíèíãðàä, èçäàòåëüñòâî «Ïðîñâåùåíèå», 1972. Real vintage, eh?
Since you seem to be really interested, I’ll present the rest, the passages I left out.
1. Once, speaking of whip-poor-wills, I was wakened after midnight by one of those feathered hellions and lay there counting his chants. He got up to one hundred and fifty-eight and then suddenly said ‘Whip-‘ and stopped dead. I like to believe that his mate, at the end of her patience, finally let him have it.
2. This curse may have originated simultaneously on Broadway and in Hollywood, where such curses often originate. About twenty-five years ago, or perhaps longer, theatre [sic] and movie people jammed their sentences with ‘you know what I mean?’ which was soon shortened to ‘you know?’ That had followed the over-use, in 1920s, of ‘you see?’ or just plain’see?’
These blights often disappear finally , but a few have stayed and will continue to stay, such as ‘Well’ and ‘I mean’ and ‘The fact is’. Others seem to have mercifully passed out of limbo into limbo, such as, to go back a long way, ‘Twenty-three, skiddoo’ and ‘So’s your old man’ and ‘I don’t know nothin’ from nothin’’ and ‘Believe you me’. About five years ago both men and women were saying things like, ‘He has a new Cadillac job with a built-in bar deal in the back seat’ and in 1958 [jeez, 50 years ago!] almost everything anybody mentioned or even wrote about, was ‘triggered’. Arguments were triggered, and allergies, and divorces, and even love affairs. This gun-and-bomb verb seemed to make the jumpiest of the jumpy even jumpier, but it has almost died out now, and I trust that I have not triggered its revival.
I am reluctantly …

I wrote the ending in my first post. So, you’ve got all the essay, Achab.