My dog has no nose

Pedro   Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:29 pm GMT
Could people please explan this joke because it make no sense to me.

My dog has no nose
How does he smell
Terrible

I no get the joke
Guest   Tue Nov 22, 2005 7:38 pm GMT
it means you shouldn't be sniffing dogs because they smell terrible.
Uriel   Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:04 pm GMT
It's a pun, exploiting the two meanings of "smell" -- the verb form, which means to actively take in odors, and the adjective form, which means to give odors off. "How does he smell" could mean either one of these things; the joke is that it starts off leading you to assume the first meaning, but finishes up with the second. It's a play on words.
Stan   Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:11 am GMT
<< I no get the joke >>

Pedro, is that an expression in the same African pidgin English I'm thinking?
Guest   Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:16 am GMT
Hmm... What are you talking about Stan? His name is "Pedro", so most likely he speaks Spanish, and simply made a mistake...

Anyway, Pedro, it's "I don't get the joke."
Gregg Peterson   Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:52 pm GMT
Didn't Monty Python do this dog nose joke back in the sixies?
Gregg Peterson   Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:54 pm GMT
Didn't Monty Pyton do a skit using this dog nose joke? The skit was set in Germanny and Hitler used this joke.
Jojo   Fri Mar 03, 2006 1:36 pm GMT
<<Didn't Monty Pyton do a skit using this dog nose joke? The skit was set in Germanny and Hitler used this joke.>>

It was the other way round. A british person came up with the joke and died laughing when he read it, so did his wife, and then the war department came along and translated it into German - a word at a time. Some translators tried a couple of words together and had to be sent to hospital with serious injuries. Then the army ran along the front line reading it out in German, the enemy firing stopped, there was a pause, then they all laughed and dropped stone dead.

It was supposed to be the funniest joke in the world.

My dad used to say the joke to me in German when I was a kid; his version was "Ich sage, ich saga, ich saga, meine hunt hapt keine nase, jahwol? Wie richt err? Sheushlicht" (ok that was written out phoenetically as I haven't done proper German spelling since I was about 14! But do you get the idea?)

Only when I watched the sketch on TV, they used a completely different German translation to the one my dad said. Which was the right one/which one is more accurate to the original English?
Guest   Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:57 pm GMT
"Which was the right one/which one is more accurate to the original English? "

My translation is the correct one.
Tremmert   Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:24 pm GMT
Actually, there were two jokes. The British joke was funny and killed people. The Germans tried to make a joke in response but only came up with the "dog's nose" joke which wasn't funny.

Sketch available here: http://www.jumpstation.ca/recroom/comedy/python/joke.html
Tremmert   Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:29 pm GMT
Sorry, I made a mistake. The "dog's nose" joke was just one which Hitler used in the sketch. The joke the Germans came up with to make the British die of laughter was

Der ver zwei peanuts, valking down der strasse, and von vas... assaulted! peanut. Ho-ho-ho-ho.

It didn't work. Also, the British joke is never told in English (because that would make anyone who watched the sketch die laughing (-;) but in (nonsense) German it is: Wenn ist das Nunstruck git und Slotermeyer? Ja!... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput!
Anon   Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:08 am GMT
Jolly   Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:20 pm GMT
She is no teacher. = She is a teacher, but not a good one.
My dog has no nose. = My doge has a nose, but it is a lousy one ;)