Do you know about coffee?

Milan   Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:36 am GMT
There is a legend regarding the discovery of coffee. It is said that some 1000 years ago, an Abyssinian was attracted by the pleasant smell that come from a certain wild shrub that was burning. He chewed a few of its berries and liked the taste so much that he brewed a beverage from them, and thus discovered coffee. Until 15th century, Abyssinia in Eastern Africa was the only place in the world where the coffee plant grew. Then, it was taken to Arabia. For some 200 years, the world's coffee came from Yemen in Southern Arabia. In the 17th century, the Dutch began to grow coffee in Java and they distributed the coffee plants to several countries. The English took it to the island of Jamaica, from where it was taken to Central and South Americas. Since the coffee plant grows best in the tropical climate, Brazil is the greatest producer of coffee in the world.

Milan
speakeasylkme.blogspot.com
Rick   Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:54 pm GMT
This has nothing to do with English.
K. T.   Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:11 am GMT
I don't like the sentence with "best in the tropical climate", it sounds like a translation to me. If that's why this was posted, then it's legit.
Uriel   Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:33 am GMT
Sounds perfectly okay to me, K.T.
K. T.   Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:46 am GMT
I think it's "THE coffee plant grows best in THE tropical climate" that bothers me, Uriel. It sounds non-native to me.
Guest   Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:22 am GMT
Yeah, I agree with K.T., I don't like non-natives.
Guest   Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:54 am GMT
<<I think it's "THE coffee plant grows best in THE tropical climate" that bothers me, Uriel. It sounds non-native to me.>>

Wow, you're right.

"Since coffee plant grows best in tropical climate, Brazil is greatest producer of coffee in world." sounds SO much better.
Guest   Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:09 am GMT
There is a legend regarding the discovery of Kofi Annan. It is said that some 1000 years ago, an Abyssinian was attracted by the pleasant smell that come from a certain wild shrub that was burning. He chewed a few of its berries and liked the taste so much that he brewed a beverage from them, and thus discovered Kofi Annan. Until 15th century, Abyssinia in Eastern Africa was the only place in the world where the Kofi Annan plant grew. Then, it was taken to Arabia. For some 200 years, the world's coffee came from Yemen in Southern Arabia. In the 17th century, the Dutch began to grow Kofi Annan in Java and they distributed the Kofi Annan plants to several countries. The English took it to the island of Jamaica, from where it was taken to Central and South Americas. Since the Kofi plant grows best in the tropical climate, Ghana is the greatest producer of Kofi in the world.

XXX

This has nothing to do with coffee.
Caspian   Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:29 am GMT
<< "Since coffee plant grows best in tropical climate, Brazil is greatest producer of coffee in world." sounds SO much better. >>

No, this sounds incorrect to me. Here's how I'd put it:
"Since the coffee plant grows better in a tropical climate, Brazil is the greatest producer of coffee in the world". How's that?
K. T.   Tue Aug 05, 2008 4:39 pm GMT
I agree with Caspian's correction.
JohnnyC   Tue Aug 05, 2008 5:18 pm GMT
<<Brazil is the greatest producer of coffee in the world.>>

Who the hell says so? What *is* this shit? Can you be a bit more vague? I swear to god when I read something so inane I almost have to smash my monitor to keep the voices quiet. Shit like this will send me right back to the hospital. What is your point??? Does Brazil produce the greatest *amount* of coffee when measured in terms of volume? Are you saying Brazilian coffee tastes better than other coffee or are you saying that of all the nations in the world that produce coffee, Brazil is the greatest? Greatest in what way?

This inarticulate walking hole should go away to a lonely place and die an Elenor Rigbyesque death. She can be buried along with her name. I agree that her use of the definite article smacks of non-nativeness. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but I don't appreciate foreigners lecturing me about coffee. As a Canadian, I include Americans and Brits in the foreigner category.

In summary, Milan, you are a confused whore. Keep your filthy fucking opinions to yourself. If this forum wanted your opinion, we would have sent someone over to waterboard you. Further, we don't give a shit about your berry-chewing ancient Absentinian peasant and his burning coffee bush. Who the fuck does he think he is, Moses??

We would have certainly eventually discovered coffee without the berry-chewing peasant's help. As the Guest above correctly states, Kofi Anon would have brought it to us from Ghana anyway, or at the very least, Idi Amin or Yannick Noah would have figured it out. We didn't need your Dutch traders or your Brazilian half-wit savages to get us our coffee. I hope you die. Now go huddle down and wring your hands whimpering in your lonely place. Fucking coffee myth proselytizer.
Johnny   Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:02 pm GMT
ROTFL, what's all this fuss about? Just coffee? Come on, relax, lol.
No, wait, now I get it. It's because of caffeine. Talking too much about coffee might not be healthy.
JohnnyC   Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:26 pm GMT
<<There is a legend regarding the discovery of coffee. It is said that some 1000 years ago, an Abyssinian was attracted by the pleasant smell that come from a certain wild shrub that was burning.>>

Yes, and that has resulted in the exploitation of how many people in the developing world?? How much does a coffee field worker get for a pound of coffee that sells in a retail coffee chain in the US for 4 dollars per cup? This cultural propaganda has no place on this forum.
Guest   Tue Aug 05, 2008 7:36 pm GMT
There is a legend regarding the origin of the tea. One day Buddha was seated under the tree, meditating...
Milan   Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:17 am GMT
You are all missing the point. My original post was an effort to create awareness of my website. It's not about coffee. I didn't even compose the article. I copied and pasted it. You have all turned this into a debate over the meaning of the article and the merits of the coffee industry. Are you all dense?

(We didn't need your Dutch traders or your Brazilian half-wit savages to get us our coffee. I hope you die. Now go huddle down and wring your hands whimpering in your lonely place. Fucking coffee myth proselytizer.)

I don't even know where to begin or how to respond to that, except to say you are a very disturbed person. You should get help.

I will not post to this group again. I do not need this abuse.