Egyptian Arabic VS Gulf Arabic

JIAJIA   Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:23 am GMT
Since Gulf Arabic has been natively spoken in the countries such as "United Arab Emirates", "Saudi Arabia", "Kuwait", "Qatar" & so on, they're all rich countries in Arabic world.

Would it be more useful for Arabic learners to study Gulf Arabic, instead of Egyptian Arabic, which is probably more widely understood by Arabic people?

Thanks!
Ana ahebo l'araby   Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:49 am GMT
Personally I have studied the Costal Arabic variant (Syria, Lebanon, Jordon) because of the good looking females. lol. But, I have also studied the Emirati Arabic (U.A.E, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Kuwait) variant as that one is much more prestigious and delightful.

An example of a daily greeting (masculine)

Good morning! How are you? Good and you?
Sabah l-kheer! Kiifak? minh wa inta? = costal arabic
Sbaah Ihkeer! Shloonak? zein wa 'nta? = iraqi arabic
Sabaah il-kheer! Issayak? Kwayyis wa ta? = egyptian arabic
Sabaah Il-kheer! Kif haluka? Zayed wa anta? = standard arabic
Sbaah Ilkheer! Shoonak? Zean wa enta? = emirati
JIAJIA   Sun Aug 03, 2008 8:54 am GMT
Emirati Arabic = Gulf Arabic ?

(Spoken in U.A.E, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Kuwait)

Thanks!
Guest   Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:02 am GMT
Asalaamu alaykum!

Honestly..they vary very slightly (the 4 Arabic gulf variants) mentioned above, however, if one notices also the Iraqi one holds closely to the Emirati too....

Masalaama
Guest   Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:05 am GMT
<Since Gulf Arabic has been natively spoken in the countries such as "United Arab Emirates", "Saudi Arabia", "Kuwait", "Qatar" & so on, they're all rich countries in Arabic world.>

Is that so? Why do you think they're rich because of the language they natively speak?
Guest   Sun Aug 03, 2008 9:10 am GMT
<Is that so? Why do you think they're rich because of the language they natively speak?>

No, they're generally richer than other places within Arabic World, not because they all speak Gulf Arabic, it should be that, they're very rich, so their dialect languge would be more popular than the other dialects.

I was heard that, Egyptian Arabic is very important and widely understood, but maybe people would rather go to UAE for business or living, unless they just want to travel around Egypt and then go back home.
Guest   Sun Aug 03, 2008 12:03 pm GMT
I'm studying standard Arabic... Too difficult...