"sweet dreams are made of this"

Rick   Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:15 am GMT
Why does the singer pronounce "this" as "theess"?

"sweet dreams are made of theeeeeeess, who am I to disagree, travel the world and the seven seas, everybody's looking for something".
K. T.   Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:37 am GMT
Wow! That's an old song. I thought it was "these", not "this". It rhymes with "seas".
Uriel   Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:09 am GMT
Ah, Annie Lennox. Scary-looking woman. Powerful voice, though.

I've always wondered it that was supposed to be "this" or "these", too. I lean toward "this", though, because she kind of makes it into a diphthong -- "thi-eeees" -- whereas I think if she had really been saying "these" she wouldn't have bothered with that awkward little glide in her vowel. I've always assumed it was just an attempt to make the rhyme work a little better with "seas", too.
K. T.   Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:25 am GMT
Well, you are right, Uriel and Rick. It's "this" apparently. I listened to it again and sometimes it sounds like "these" and sometimes something like Rick described.
Rick   Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:32 am GMT
I originally thought it was "these", and that made perfect sense as that rhymes rhymed with "seas". I was very surprised when I found out it was actually "this".
Guest   Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:10 pm GMT
Oh my, Annie Lennox singing 'old songs'! What one can say of Janis Joplin if anybody here still remembers thus name at all?
Travis   Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:40 pm GMT
I myself thought that it was actually supposed to be "these", and never suspected that it was actually meant to be "this"...
K. T.   Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:38 pm GMT
I know who Janis Joplin was because I had a couple of friends who liked retro music. I'm not against "old songs" though. I like opera and I like (no accountin' for taste) eighties pop music.
K. T.   Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:40 pm GMT
Oh, and everytime a young entertainer dies, the names of Hendrix, Joplin,
Dean, Monroe, and Cobain seem to appear. JMO.
AJC   Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:45 pm GMT
Just having a listen to here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQHrspjw4aA

The vowel is stretched out to fit the tune but doesn't rhyme with "seas", more like "thi-is"
Guest   Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:20 pm GMT
Annie is an old witch, poor pronouncer.
I prefer the song SWEET DREAMS by the American Eurodance band La Bouche: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8RjRquFIWA
Rick   Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:40 pm GMT
Well if she wanted it to rhyme with "seas", why didn't she actually use "these"? It would make more sense than to pronounce "this" in a way to almost sound like "these" in order to rhyme with "seas".
Anton   Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:05 pm GMT
Seid ihr genauso verwirrt wie ich?
Travis   Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:16 pm GMT
Ja...
Anton   Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:39 pm GMT
Dann bin ich beruhigt.