The Great Gatsby

Kevin   Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:22 am GMT
In "The Great Gatsby", it reads: "Over the great bridge, with the sunlight through the girders making a constant flicker upon the moving cars, with the city rising up across the river in white heaps and sugar lumps all built with a
wish out of non-olfactory money. The city seen from the Queensboro
Bridge is always the city seen for the first time, in its first wild
promise of all the mystery and the beauty in the world. This is Nick's impression of New York City." As a Chinese, I don't exactly understand what "white heaps and sugar lumps" mean. To me, heaps and lumps basically have the same meaning, but some argue that heaps refer to high rises while lumps refer to lower buildings. Another question is whether "all built with a wish out of non-olfactory money" means "all built with a wish that it [should] be [built] out of non-olfactory money?"?
Guest   Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:42 am GMT
<<I don't exactly understand what "white heaps and sugar lumps" mean. To me, heaps and lumps basically have the same meaning, but some argue that heaps refer to high rises while lumps refer to lower buildings.>>

No, "heap" and "lump" don't have the same meaning. A "heap" is a stack or pile (of something). It also means "a great quantity". A "lump" is a piece of solid mass or a swelling or protuberance. Think of the difference between a lump of sugar vs. a heaping spoonful of sugar. The "argument" (but is it really an argument?) that "white heaps and sugar lumps" refers to high rises and low buildings is on the money.

<<Another question is whether "all built with a wish out of non-olfactory money" means "all built with a wish that it [should] be [built] out of non-olfactory money?">>

The way I understand it is like this: "all built with a wish, [made] out of non-olfactory money" and see if it makes sense to you.
Guest   Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:25 am GMT
Oops: The way I understand it is like this: "all built with a wish, [made] out of non-olfactory money".
kevin   Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:57 pm GMT
thank you!