What is neutral accent ?

Skippy   Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:45 am GMT
Rhyming 'bag' and 'vague' is only a feature scattered across the west coast. I have a friend from LA who said it and a friend from San Diego who did this as well, but aside from that no one. It is not, by any stretch of the term, a feature of what is referred to as SAE.

SAE is actually more of a talent than a native accent, but, as I've said before, Urban Mountain and Southwest US is the closest to it.
Guest   Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:49 pm GMT
>> Rhyming 'bag' and 'vague' is only a feature scattered across the west coast. I have a friend from LA who said it and a friend from San Diego who did this as well, but aside from that no one. It is not, by any stretch of the term, a feature of what is referred to as SAE.
<<

It is certainly more widespread than that. It is found in parts of Minnesota, and northern Wisconsin and Michigan. I would say that it is Standard American English. Also, I do not agree that the Southwest does not have much of an accent. They most certainly do. Ask someone from the Southwest to pronounce the word "moo" and you'll hear what I mean.
Travis   Fri Aug 15, 2008 3:56 pm GMT
The big thing in this regard, though, is that in English-speaking North America most people are likely to perceive the local prestige variety from their area, especially if they have lived in that area their entire life, as having a "neutral accent". Hence if one is from the Pacific Northwest, it is not surprising that one would perceive the prestige variety there as having a "neutral accent".
George   Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:22 pm GMT
There is no sensible way to answer 'What is a neutral accent?' as it depends heavily on context and everyone has some accent or other.

My speech is about as close to received pronunciation as you can get. Americans often ask where I am from. Sometimes they offer their guess before I answer, and these have included Britain, Australia and South Africa. Once at a party, I was even mistaken for an American. (I would like to say the music was very load, but it wasn't.) Given that my accent can be confused with a huge range of accents from all over the globe, I propose my accent is the most neutral. :)
Caspian   Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:56 pm GMT
Don't be stupid, there's no such thing. A 'neutral' accent to an American would be nowhere near neutral to a Brit or Australian.
Quidsane   Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:43 pm GMT
" Listen to how they pronounce words like "tomorrow" tomahrow, and "bag" as "bahg". "

No one in Phoenix speaks like that.
Guest   Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:54 pm GMT
>> " Listen to how they pronounce words like "tomorrow" tomahrow, and "bag" as "bahg". "

No one in Phoenix speaks like that. <<

I've only heard 3 people in Phoenix that *didn't* speak like that. I do believe that the vast majority of people in Phoenix say tomahrow rather than tomorrow, and bag almost sounds like bahg rather than beg.
Guest   Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:15 pm GMT
Oh, yeah, maybe you are right, People in Phoenix have no accent. It could be because nothing happens there so there is nothing to say. No voice means no accent, I agree with that.