Anglophones' Linguistic Preference

Guest   Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:30 pm GMT
<<Yeah, but when you add their usefulness in 2nd/foreign language speakers, science, technology, literature, arts, and culture, Spanish will surely left behind by French and it will slip to from the 2nd to a lower spot. >>

I guess you'd need to figure out why Anglophones (or E1Lers) learn foreign languages. If you start out with English as a first language, I doubt technology or science is a big factor in your choice of 2nd lanmguage. Perhaps there are a few specialized fields where most papers are published in French or Spanish, but I'd think something like Chinese, Russian, German, Japanese, etc. would be better choices for technology, depending on your field.

That leaves food, culture, literature, history, art, music, etc., but again, how many Anglophones really consider these as important factors? Unless you're really into a foreign language, i doubt you'd read much literature in a 2nd language. (I really hated reading literature in foreign languages back in school, BTW). I'd think the most important factor is
the prevalence of a foreign language in nearby regions. In the US, this means Spanish is probably most useful in most places (except real close to Quebec). The situation is Europe would be different, where the closeness of France to England would be a big factor (but there's also Germany close by, too.)
Guest   Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:23 am GMT
^ Good post.

You are correct about the "prevalence [..] in nearby regions" factor.
This would probably be the most important and influential reason for Anglophones to learn a new language.

Therefore, Spanish in the US and French in Canada.

When it comes to England, I'd have to say French.
The reason, aside from the geographical closenss, is that the French are more enthusiastic about promoting and enforcing their language... they are more keen on insisting to communicate in French.

On the other hand, the Germans are usually not as keen, and would have more tolerance and less resistance to communicating in English. Anglophones don't feel as much pressure to speak German to Germans since most of them would be happy and willing to speak English.

Therefore, the difference works in favour of French... in the UK.

When it comes to Australia, New Zealand, and South Africa... it's pretty much the same logic as in the UK.
Guest   Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:28 am GMT
"In the US, this means Spanish is probably most useful in most places (except real close to Quebec)."

By the way, what about Louisiana?

Wouldn't (along with Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, and Upstate New York) favour French over Spanish?
Guest   Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:11 am GMT
<<Wouldn't (along with Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, and Upstate New York) favour French over Spanish? >>

Perhaps up around Rouses Point, NY or Estcourt Station, ME
Guest   Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:20 pm GMT
<<<< BTW, we don't really refer to ourselves as "Anglophones"
We're "English speakers"
Please call us that, Thanks >>

Fuck you, I'll call you whatever the fuck I want.
Go learn a foreign language. >>

get a job
Guest   Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:48 am GMT
Get bent.
Guest   Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:50 pm GMT
Your mother's bent
Guest   Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:04 pm GMT
What are you saying that his mother is dishonest or corrupt?
Guest   Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:15 pm GMT
<,What are you saying that his mother is dishonest or corrupt? >>

Uuuuh, Yah.
Guest   Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:34 pm GMT
How about you shove your cock right up your mom's ass, and then ram it up your sister's cunt?
Jizz all over their faces and then fart in their mouth.
Guest   Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:26 pm GMT
<<,How about you shove your cock right up your mom's ass, and then ram it up your sister's cunt?
Jizz all over their faces and then fart in their mouth. >>

How 'bout I just let you keep being the expert on that, 'k buddy?
Guest   Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:51 am GMT
Go fuck youself, you mother fucking cock sucking piece of shit...
Don't forget what I told you... your mother is in desperate need of some cock, I know coz I fucked her yesterday...
Guest   Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:47 pm GMT
<<Don't forget what I told you... your mother is in desperate need of some cock, I know coz I fucked her yesterday... >>

HAHA
Yeah, and as usual, your cock was small f*ckin' small that you couldn't satisfy her LOL

Your BOYFRIEND told me the same thing HAHA
Guest   Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:12 am GMT
LOL, small or not, the important thing is that my penis was rammed deep into your mother's hairy pussy, then I cummed all over her face.

Go see where that whoe is now... probably swallowing someone else's cock