Time for an international standard for English?

Guest   Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:47 pm GMT
How does language help you realize that the cabin is being depressurized? It seems to me that the fact it's becoming harder to breathe might clue you in on that, not what language you're speaking.
Uriel   Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:58 am GMT
<<Unforunately, when the warning sounded they couldn't recognize in time that the cabin was becoming depressurized, before they lost consciousness. It's speculated that inadequate English skills may have contributed to this.>>

I don't see why. If they didn't know what the hell was going on in the first place, I don't see how better English would have helped. They probably weren't going to figure it out by talking.
Guest   Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:00 am GMT
What the hell? There is an international standard for pilots these days. They already have a standardised language, precisely because of events like these. But that doesn't mean ordinary people have to change their way of speaking - if you're a pilot, learn pilot English. Why should I walk around speaking like a pilot all the time.

*walks into a shop:

Me: This is individual James Robertson, I am ready to approach the counter. Over.
Shop assistent: Roger that, James Robertson, shop assistent Tony Smith grants you clearance for approach.
Me: Roger that, approach commenced. Requesting permission to purchase a bread loaf.
Shop assistent: Negative, please maintain a holding pattern until individual Margart Hayden has cleared the purchasing zone.
Me: Roger that, holding patter commenced....
Guest   Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:41 pm GMT
There is a standardised language for commands issued between air traffic control and aircraft.
Guest   Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:53 pm GMT
This wouldn't have helped much in this case though.
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:13 am GMT
Don't non-native speakers dumb down the language enough as it is?
It's no wonder that so many of them think of English as being an "easy" language.
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:47 am GMT
-Don't non-native speakers dumb down the language enough as it is? -

Yup, they use wrong comparative:
nice-->more nice, fit--->more fit, bad--->more bad

and wrong plural: two man, two woman, two mouses

Basic ''International'' English is a simplified English, resembling a creole language.
Guest   Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:51 am GMT
Difficult does not indicate better. The most ideal international lingua franca would be the easiest and most flexible language. Unfortunately English has many Idiosyncrasies that learners must master.
Simon   Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:40 am GMT
Here communication plays a very big vital role in exchanging thoughts or ideas. As everyone knows and accepts English is the International language we should learn the language even to understand the life saving instruction given by the crews.
Jack   Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:47 am GMT
English is common language as everyone knows.

[url=http://www.addictionrecovery.net/virginia]Wide Circles[/url]