which is right

Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:32 am GMT
I want to know if the person I was looking at left.

i want to know if the person I looked at left.

Which is right and what's the difference?
Guest   Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:44 am GMT
Both are OK (US english). The first one might sound a bit more natural to me.
Uriel   Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:50 am GMT
I guess the difference would be that the first version implies that you were eyeing them continuously for some time, while the second one could be anything from a brief glance on up to a lengthy stare.

Neither is more correct than the other; both could work depending on their context.
Laura Braun   Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:41 am GMT
How does it sound <<I want to know if the person I was looking for left>>
For me that sounds more natural, but not completely so sure.
Laura Braun   Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:52 am GMT
or I can say <<I would like to know if the person I'm looking for left>>
<<would you mind if you tell me about if the person which I'm looking for left>>,
<<could you tell me please if the person who I'm looking for left>>
or just
<<is there someone who can tell me if the person who I''m looking for is still here>>
<<hey, I was looking for someone several hours ago and I have no idea if he left or just go to the restroom>>
,,I'm very inaware in situalion about the person who I was looking for several minutes ago do you have any idea if he left or something...>>
<< I desperately need to find the person who I was looking few hours ago if he left or something>>
<<I worry about the person who I was looking several hours ago, could you tell me where I can find him>>
<<could you keep the record about the person who I was looking several hours ago, is it possible if he left, or do you have any idea where I can find him for sure>>
<<I'm pissed about the person who I was looking for several hours ago I came here few times and he is not still here, where I can find him>>
<<That looser, which I was looking several hours ago is still not yet here how can i find him>>
<<I'm very sick of the person who I was looking several hours ago how can it be possible I come here ten times and he is not yet here>>
Variety depends on your mood, but it helps a lot
Laura Braun   Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:55 am GMT
...but probably I made few mistakes @:-) . Anyway. English is an open system it's not the question with the right sentence, wherever you say the right words, it all depends on you can understan others and they can understand you, that's for sure.
Another Guest   Sat Aug 30, 2008 7:27 pm GMT
I first read "left" as being an adjective (as in, opposite of right). If you want to make it clear that it's a verb, you should include the object. For instance, "I want to know if the person I was looking at left the room".