How do you define 'the West'?

YomJimJack   Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:46 pm GMT
West is a place we all shall go some funny day
Skippy   Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:48 pm GMT
I'm not exactly sure why most leave out Latin America, I would recommend reading Samuel Huntington's "Clash of Civilizations" which gives a pretty good description of different "cultures" of the World and, I believe, Latin America is excluded from "the West." I can't recall so I may be wrong, if anyone's read it (or can think of a reason Latin America would be in/excluded feel free to correct me).
Uriel   Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:40 am GMT
<<Regardless of cultural differences, I'd still consider California in the Western US. There's a big cultural difference between Vermont and Kentucky (for example), but they're both in the eastern US. >>

Of course it's in the western US. It's just not int eh part I'd call "out west" (cowboy country). Yes, there are a few cowboys in California, but they just don't seem to "belong" there as much as they do in the emptier Rockies and Southwest. Maybe it's just me. ;P
Guest   Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:31 pm GMT
Latin America is third world. That's why it's excluded from "the West".
Guest   Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:36 pm GMT
Latin America is third world. That's why it's excluded from "the West".

So West is based only in money capabilities? If that so why Japan, China, South Korea and India are not considered part of the West
Skippy   Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:26 pm GMT
Japan, China, South Korea, and India are, by almost all English definitions, part of "The East."

It's cultural as well as geographic.