What's the correct

Guest   Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:51 am GMT
Which is correct and why?

he and I are having a good time
he and me are having a good time
Guest   Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:15 am GMT
The first sentence is the correct way to say it, according to traditional grammar.

The second sentence is not said by anyone. Maybe you're thinking of "Me and him are having a good time." which is used in colloquial speech.
Matt   Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:06 am GMT
Be careful not to overcorrect when "me" is genuinely called for.

Between you and me, that man is a moron.

The above sentence is correct, because between is followed by "me" and not by "I", but some (uneducated) native speakers, aware that well-educated people say "you and I" in some circumstances, hypercorrect as follows, "between you and I, that man is a moron". That is just atrocious.
Guest   Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:37 am GMT
xxThe first sentence is the correct way to say it, according to traditional grammar.

The second sentence is not said by anyone. Maybe you're thinking of "Me and him are having a good time." which is used in colloquial speech. xx

Then why do people say "Me" in answer to "Who wants a beer?"
Estel   Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:58 pm GMT
Don't think of why this and why that when you're learning a language. Sometimes, the best explanation is that it's just the way it is.
Matt   Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:22 pm GMT
No, Estel, that's stupid. You have to understand the system first.
Uriel   Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:43 pm GMT
No, because there are lots of exceptions to the rules of the "system", as you put it. Much of English is not logical, or is outright contradictory. Things like "it's me" are called sturdy indefensibles -- they aren't strictly grammatically logical, but everyone says them (few say "it's I" or "it is I" unless they are being silly).

That's also why we have to learn little sayings in school, like "I before E, except after C, or when sounded like A, as in neighbor and weigh". I bet most other kids don't have to go through stuff like this!