Alaskan Governor: Sarah Palin's accent

Moionfire   Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:23 am GMT
Does she have a typical Alaskan accent?? To me, her accent sounds midwestern. Quite possible a little canadian.

does anyone know what accent she has. Do most or many alaskans have her accent..
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:03 am GMT
Her accent sounds typically American. There is nothing profound about it.
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:56 am GMT
Palin was born Sarah Louise Heath in Sandpoint, Idaho, the third of four children of Sarah Heath (née Sheeran), a school secretary, and Charles R.

I don't waste my time hearing conservative, backward people speak.
Because of people lik Palin, US is hated all across the globe.

As usual, cities will vote for democrats, vast rural regions of fly-over-states will vote for republicans, and again, republicans will win. :(

Sometimes I wish California and NYC were independent states. They've nothing to due with backwardness of Idaho or Oklahoma.
Matt   Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:07 am GMT
I suppose if California could become independent and all the non-whites forced to move there, and then the other 49 states could become the wonderful extension of Britain and Europe that the Founding Fathers planned all along, and then everyone would be happy. You woudl have the crime, the drug abuse, the trash culture, the MTV, and the rest would luxuriate and glorify in their Britannic culture heritage, with polite behaviour, low crime rates, the Book of Common Prayer and the King James Bible, low taxes, and every man a proud owner of his own loaded weapons. If only... if only...
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:30 am GMT
As a young man I'm looking forward to serving in Iran and Russia under Palin. I can't wait to fulfil God's design. Vote McCain Palin 2008!
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:50 am GMT
GOP stole last 2 elections; they'll do it again.
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:25 am GMT
Palin go home to your wilderness of Alaska, you stupid moose hunter.
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:23 pm GMT
"Because of people lik Palin, US is hated all across the globe. "

You have NO idea, sadly :o(
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:52 pm GMT
I only heard her speak briefly. I noticed nothing remarkable about her accent. It sounded very much like a Pacific Northwest accent. Does anyone remember any specifics like whether she was cot-caught merged (and to which vowel), or how she pronounced words like "sorry", "tomorrow", etc.?
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:14 pm GMT
She's a republican, they never say sorry or tomorrow.
She is more likely to say: now, let's make war in Russia, hurry up, all moose get up

lOL
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:17 pm GMT
Ok, then go to Iran and die, and die young.
O'Bruadair   Sat Sep 06, 2008 3:19 pm GMT
"....nothing to due with backwardness......."

Huh?

Due: adjective

1. owed at present; having reached the date for payment: This bill is due.
2. owing or owed, irrespective of whether the time of payment has arrived: This bill is due next month.

You mean "......nothing to DO with backwardness..........". Don't you now, Hussein?

"Sometimes I wish California and NYC were independent states"

A whole bunch of us in the other 48 States sometime wish the same but what has that got to do with Palin's accent?
Uriel   Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:36 pm GMT
I never noticed any major regional accent in Alaska. And most Alaskans are actually from elsewhere -- I heard that there was even a saying, "Few are born here and few die here", meaning people tend to move to Alaska from somewhere else, and then leave for a milder climate in old age.
Ed   Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:11 pm GMT
Food for thought: Here's what someone on an unrelated forum said about Palin:

"Her speeches are much better to "watch" while on mute though. That "Fargo" accent gets pretty annoying after the 3rd or 4th short "A" syllable."

To me, she sounds a little "off" but not heavily accented.
Guest   Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:32 pm GMT
"Sometimes I wish California and NYC were independent states. They've nothing to due with backwardness of Idaho or Oklahoma."

What a snob! I'd have to decide on my citizenship then since I was born in a big state and live in a fly-over state. Perhaps you could move to Canada?