Which brands of "English-Your native language" Dic

Northern Chinese   Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:12 am GMT
Which brands of "English-Your native language" Dictionaries do you like most?

(Single or Multiple Choice)

1, Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (British Edition)
2, Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English (British Edition)
3, Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary (British Edition)
4, Macmillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners (British Edition)
5, Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner's English Dictionary (British Edition)
6, Merriam-Webster's Advanced Learner's English Dictionary (American Edition)
7, Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary (American Edition)
8, Webster's Third New International Dictionary (American Edition)
9, American Heritage Dictionary (American Edition)
10, Other brands (in detail)
Northern Chinese   Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:23 am GMT
Personally, I like Longman(2) & Macmillan(4) most. And you?
Guest   Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:11 am GMT
I'm Pakistan. I love Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary (British Edition)...
Guest   Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:04 am GMT
Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner's English Dictionary (British Edition)

Awesome dictionary.
Guest   Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:15 am GMT
I don't like Collins Cobuild at all...
It seems to be designed especially for children and beginners, but not for advanced learners.
Johnny   Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:38 am GMT
I tried them all, and the best in my opinion is the Longman D. of Contemporary English, followed by the Oxford Advanced L. Dict.
If you need to use very advanced English you'll need the Merriam Webster.
Johnny   Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:40 am GMT
<<If you need to use very advanced English you'll need the Merriam Webster.>>
I meant to say the Collegiate Edition. Looking at your list again, I noticed I haven't tried the Merriam Webster for learners yet. It's brand new, if I am not mistaken.
SILK   Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:51 am GMT
<I tried them all, and the best in my opinion is the Longman D. of Contemporary English, followed by the Oxford Advanced L. Dict.
If you need to use very advanced English you'll need the Merriam Webster.>
<I meant to say the Collegiate Edition. Looking at your list again, I noticed I haven't tried the Merriam Webster for learners yet. It's brand new, if I am not mistaken.>

Thanks! But I found British dictionaries more helpful & comprehensive, because British editions usually involve US pronunciation & usages. while US editions NEVER include British pronunciation & usages. WHY? supercilious?

And I haven't used "Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary as yet... So I can't say anything about it.
Guest   Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:21 am GMT
Of course, I choosed OXFORD ADVANCED LEARNER'S DICTIONARY.
Northern Chinese   Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:10 am GMT
Does anybody else want to say something about it???
Guest   Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:20 am GMT
<<Of course, I choosed OXFORD ADVANCED LEARNER'S DICTIONARY.>>

Well, maybe you shouldn't have...
Johnny   Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:00 pm GMT
<<Thanks! But I found British dictionaries more helpful & comprehensive, because British editions usually involve US pronunciation & usages. while US editions NEVER include British pronunciation & usages. WHY? supercilious? >>

It depends. All dictionaries for learners have been published by British editors up to now, but often cover both British and American English. The first one published by an American editor is the Merriam Webster for learners, but I don't know anything about it yet because it just came out, I think.
Merriam-Webster's Collegiate® Dictionary is not for learners, and covers American English.

It all depends what you are interested in. A good dictionary for learners with both British and American English is important, in my opinion, and then you might need a more advanced one, not for learners, to look up less common words (example: "Tritium" is not in my Longman for learners, but it is found in the Merriam Webster Collegiate).
And then consider the possibility of getting a certain dictionary on CD-ROM and install it on your computer. That's the most important thing in my opinion, especially if you read a lot on the web: you click on a word and you get the pop-up with the definition.
Northern Chinese   Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:54 am GMT
Can you explain the difference between "Merriam-Webster's Advanced Learner's English Dictionary" and "Collins Cobuild Advanced Learner's English Dictionary"? Which one is better for advanced foreign learners?
Guest   Wed Sep 10, 2008 6:30 am GMT
Which kind of dictionary do you like most? Merriam Webster, Random House, or Collins Cobuild?

A question to Americans: (Single Choice)

1, Merriam Webster Collegiate@ Dictionary
2, Merriam Webster's Advanced Learner's English Dictionary
(Q): Which one do you prefer? (the answer is "X")

3, Random House Webster's College Dictionary
4, Random House Webster's Advanced English Dictionary
(Q): Which one do you prefer? (the answer is "Y")

5, Collins COBUILD Advanced Learner's English Dictionary ("Z")

Note: first, please reply to "X" and "Y", then, compare "X" with "Y" in detail, and finally, compare "Z" with the winner between "X" & "Y", and make the only choice at last.

No Spams Please!
Guest   Fri Sep 12, 2008 7:53 am GMT
Macmillan English Dictionary for Advanced Learners