Tungsten or wolfram?

Adam   Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:30 pm GMT
I didn't copy and paste it. I already knew it, because I studied chemistry at college.
Adam   Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:14 pm GMT
My course was "History of chemistry and the origins of chemical and metallic nouns."

Anyway, I thought my post was good and taught some people something.
Sander   Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:56 pm GMT
=>"History of chemistry and the origins of chemical and metallic nouns."<=

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!

Do you honestly expect me to believe this ,this bullshit?!

=>Anyway, I thought my post was good and taught some people something<=

No,It did'nt

1 It's not the topic.
2Everything has been said before.

And I think is great that you admit you copy and pasted the article.You're still the biggest loser I know though.
Hans   Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:23 am GMT
Well Adam you might need to realise the material you have copied and paste is illegal considering you did not ask for their permission..

look here below.......
<© Copyright 2001-2004 Tungsten Heavy Powder, Inc. All rights reserved. This site designed and maintained by SEO Pros.>

I think nexttime you should put it into your own words or place a reference stating the source which you find this information from...

I do not want to provoke anything with you Adam but giving kind advice...

Thankyou
Hans
Sander   Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:59 pm GMT
I bett you never even heard Dutch or German in your life.
Sander   Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:43 am GMT
Hans you should visite this forum as well! Much more active and divers!

http://14.freebb.com/?freebb=antimoonbis

Or google for Antimoonbis
Jessica   Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:50 am GMT
Tungsten was originally called wolfram. It can also be said in other languages though!
Guest   Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:18 pm GMT
"History of chemistry and the origins of chemical and metallic nouns."
Didn't anyone tell you that it wasn't a real course.I suppose they were too busy laughing for the four years you were on it.
Kazoo   Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:13 am GMT
I'm a welder and I've always called it Tungsten.
Kazoo   Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:01 am GMT
Machinists use 'tungsten-carbide' tool bits as well. I've never heard it called wolfram.
Mxsmanic   Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:06 am GMT
Tungsten is the standard term today. Wolfram may still be understood, but it's like saying oil of vitriol instead of sulfuric acid, or quicksilver instead of mercury.
Jack Doolan   Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:17 pm GMT
Chemical nomenclature is set by I.U.P.A.C., the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry. Thus tungsten (at least in English) rather than wolfram, oxygen instead of "dephlogistated air" and carbon dioxide instead of "fixed air". The abbreviations used for the names of elements in the periodic table are derived from various languages I suppose, some of the elements have much the same name in other languages. Zn for zinc but Fe for iron. There is a very long set of complex rules governing the standard names of organic chemicals, the common name of one simple organic solvent is "acetone" but the IUPAC name is "propan-2-one". This leads to organic chemical names being the longest "words" in any language.
guest   Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:47 pm GMT
<<Tungsten is the standard term today>>

No it is not, I.U.P.A.C is the only exception. Check it out and you will find out why they are!

We call it Volfram because the core element was first isolated out of the mineral Volframit (mixture of mangan and Volframtetraoxid). As such the name (Volfram) is a good name on the core element. Furthermore, the name is directly linked to the discovery of the element and as such it does not refer to a latin root!
Robin   Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:33 pm GMT
I think that a really good name like "wolfram" is never going to die. The only problem is that it can't be patented because it has an established use.

What a neat story?

Devours metal like a wolf? Cool or what !!!!

Someone only has to call a new light bulb 'Wolfram' and it will sell like hot cakes.
Robin   Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:03 am GMT
I thought I had heard the name Wolfram before.

However it wasn't Wolfram, it was Wolfrace

Wolfrace Alloy Wheels

I wonder if they contain any tungsten?

AlloysMallory Alloys manufacture & supply silver, copper & tungsten based alloys and metals in many ... Supplier of Wolfrace Alloy Wheels. www.rochfordtyres.co.uk ...