Supply & Demand

Guest   Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:22 pm GMT
Which languages have high demand and low supply? I think it is an important factor to choose a language.

Thanks in advance.
Guest   Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:07 pm GMT
There seem to be no demand for topics like this.
Guest   Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:48 pm GMT
Well, it is a report about that in a webpage.

John F. Copper explain the top ten languages to study according to the supply-demand ratio:

1. Chinese

2. Japanese

3. Arabic

4. Indonesian

5. Russian

6. Spanish

7. Korean

8. Portuguese

9. Hindi

10. Bengali

PD. John F. Copper is a professor of international studies at Rhodes College in Memphis, Tenn.

German and French don’t place in the top 10 because both countries have small or declining populations. Neither country is growing very fast economically, either. And many people there also speak English. Lastly, there are too many American students studying these languages already, so the supply is much bigger than the demand.

http://www.clta-gny.org/top10.htm
Guest   Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:10 am GMT
Wow! Chinese, Arabic, Japanese and Indonesian are the most interesting languages.

Are you agree?
Guest   Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:46 am GMT
No I'm not agree.
Caspian   Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:39 am GMT
The list may be nearly correct - just shift all of the languages down and put English in the top.
ASCM   Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:16 am GMT
An important topic.
JLK   Sun Sep 21, 2008 2:26 pm GMT
<<Well, it is a report about that in a webpage.

John F. Copper explain the top ten languages to study according to the supply-demand ratio:

1. Chinese

2. Japanese

3. Arabic

4. Indonesian

5. Russian

6. Spanish

7. Korean

8. Portuguese

9. Hindi

10. Bengali

PD. John F. Copper is a professor of international studies at Rhodes College in Memphis, Tenn.

German and French don’t place in the top 10 because both countries have small or declining populations. Neither country is growing very fast economically, either. And many people there also speak English. Lastly, there are too many American students studying these languages already, so the supply is much bigger than the demand.

http://www.clta-gny.org/top10.htm>>

Considering this document is hosted on the 'Chinese Languages Teachers Association', I wonder how unbiased it is. I couldn't find the article anywhere else on the web...
Alice   Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:08 am GMT
This is the same as economics.