all over

bubu   Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:55 pm GMT
Hello,

can any one please explain the meaning of 'all over' in the all these contexts below?

There is mud all over the floor.

The floor is mud all over [is this one correct?]

My shirt is all over mud.

I would also like to know what part of speech 'all over' functions as in all the sentences above.

Thank you in advance.
Uriel   Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:56 pm GMT
There is mud all over the floor. = the entire floor is covered with mud

The floor is mud all over [is this one correct?] = the floor is muddy all over

My shirt is all over mud. = same pattern as above, it should be my shirt is muddy all over (at least for me; maybe that wording is permissible in other dialects).

"All over" is just a stronger form of "over", so it's a preposition like in or around or on top of or underneath -- I guess if there's more than one word involved, it's properly called a prepositional phrase.
Laura Braun   Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:22 am GMT
I would say 'It's all over now, nothing left behind. ' when something is finished.
Uriel   Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:47 am GMT
That's a totally different usage of "over" and "all over" -- that one does mean finished, whereas bubu's means completely covering.
Guest   Sat Sep 20, 2008 1:15 am GMT
"There is mud all over the floor. " On each part of the floor, there is mud.

"The floor is mud all over". The floor is made entirely out of mud. You probably mean "The floor is muddy all over".

"My shirt is all over mud." Every part of my shirt has mud below it. Here, I think that you mean to say "My shirt is muddy all over".

Note that "all over", "over all", "overall", and "overalls" all mean completely different things.
ASCM   Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:05 am GMT
What are some of the extensions to this?