What are you doing tomorrow

MollyB   Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:25 am GMT
Which reply/ies would you predict most, pre-intermediate and up, ESL students, would spontaneously come up with outside the classroom?

What are you doing tomorrow?

a: I'm playing football.
b: I might play football.
c: I'll probably play football.
d: I'm probably playing football.
e: I'm going to play football.
f: X has asked me to play football.

g: Other/s
Guest   Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:13 am GMT
е: Students love the fixed phrase 'going to' and use it whenever there is a chance of a mistake...
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:28 am GMT
It depends on the highest probability of intention to be playing football on the part of the person who is asked the question. Option (a) is pretty definite - that the budding Becks will guaranteed to be out there in the mud and rain doing his best for his local AFC. The same could be said for option (e) for that matter.
Outlander   Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:27 pm GMT
I do the foot ball.
Johnny   Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:12 pm GMT
In class, I suspect they would be forced to answer (a) to match the structure of the question, while in reality all of the options would be acceptable as reasonable answers (except d, maybe. I don't like it).
Uriel   Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:21 am GMT
They are all pretty likely for a native speaker. Don't know about students.
Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:04 am GMT
<<(except d, maybe. I don't like it). >>

And why?
Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:00 pm GMT
<<(except d, maybe. I don't like it). >>

<<And why? >>

Because "I'm playing football tomorrow" sounds pretty definite to me, and so I guess I wouldn't use "probably" in that example... I usually use "will" with probably: "I'll probably do this, that, etc. tomorrow"
Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:20 pm GMT
<<Because "I'm playing football tomorrow" sounds pretty definite to me, and so I guess I wouldn't use "probably" in that example... I usually use "will" with probably: "I'll probably do this, that, etc. tomorrow">>

The "is probably + verb-ing" is very common in English, Guest.
Guest   Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:21 pm GMT
Is Guest saying that we can not qualify definite statements in English?