Japan,no need to study english

kiryowa   Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:11 am GMT
Japan is a well developed country even if people from there are not good in English. Other countries particularly,Asian countries have to be good in English in order for them to get employment.What's behind the success of Japan,which is not in other countries?
James Tierney   Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:15 am GMT
I'm not sure that i agree with your view that people in Japan are not good in English but that's another argument. I think the interdependence of Japanese people and the utilisation of its workforce is for me one of Japan's outstanding qualities.
Uriel   Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:32 am GMT
I lived in Japan for three years and rarely ever heard any Japanese people who could speak English. I don't think Asian countries have some "need" to be fluent in English to get along well in business. I think many of the Asian countries that do have a significant English language presence, such as Singapore, the Phillippines, and the city of Hong Kong, mainly do so because of historical ties to English speaking countries. Japan really never had that experience.
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:23 am GMT
We in Britain usually find the Orientals (Chinese, Japanese or wherever) the most difficult to understand when they speak English - probably due to the great differences in the vocalisation of western and eastern Languages.

It's not so much the case with the staff at your local Chinese takeaway/restaurant or the much rarer Japanese restaurant (here in the UK anyway) as many of them now actually have local accents - yes, even Scottish. It's more a problem with those Orientals who have never been to the West but have learned their English "back home" so to speak.
Guest   Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:28 pm GMT
"What's behind the success of Japan,which is not in other countries? "

Simple-All the stealing, raping and murdering from invasions to other countries in countless wars in the past.
Guest   Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:22 pm GMT
^Nonsense. Yes, there was an imperialistic episode during WW2 but historically Japan was strictly isolated.
Guest   Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:40 pm GMT
^Without WW2, there will be no Japan that we know today. Before WW2, Japan was just an ass-licker of China and today Japan is just a USA-ass licker.
Guest   Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:59 pm GMT
^Nonsense. Your hatred is irrational. You are certainly Korean Christian. You should consult your priest.
Guest   Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:48 pm GMT
^Nonsense. Why would you think I'm Korean Christian? FUNNY. You're certainly a Japanese or an anime-loving Japan lover. Go watch an anime.
Jim   Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:13 am GMT
Well said