Could you comment on my English?

Kaz   Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:03 pm GMT
Hello, about a few months ago I asked you to listent to my English and I got very useful comments from many of
you. I was told that my English was not bad, but still you were able to point out lots of things that I had to improve.

Since then I studied my English carefully. And now I feel I made a significant improvement. I wonder if you could listen again and tell me what you think.

http://www.estat.us/kaz/eigo/kazfinalversion4.wav

To give you my backgrounds, I am Japanese and learned English in Japan by listening to radio English conversation starting from junior high. I live in America now.

Thanks for your time.
Sander   Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:35 pm GMT
It is ... PERFECT! :)
Deborah   Sun Jul 10, 2005 8:36 pm GMT
Kaz, nice to hear from you again. I looked up your posts in the archive, but I can no longer hear your earlier samples, so I can't really make a comparison. However, your current sample sounds very good. Here's what I heard that could be worked on:

- to get very tired of sitting: sounds like "to get very tired of siing"

- considering: I can barely hear the "d"

Those two are obviously related.

- so very much - you could pronounce the "y" a bit stronger, as it sounded cut off

- afterwards - I couldn't hear the "d".

Generallly, I thought the second half sounded clearer than the first half, which may have something to do with the fact that you slowed down a bit.
Kaz   Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:51 am GMT
Thanks, Sander and Deborah,

Seems like I am having difficulty with D. consiDering is mysteriously difficult. But when D occurs in other places, it is easier.

I wonder if I can do "afterwards" if I try.

Is D pronounced at the same time as the following S?

Kaz
Murray Christmas   Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:00 am GMT
Kaz,

What's your native language?
Astronomy   Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:08 am GMT
Here's the address to my space forum http://17.freebb.com/index.php?freebb=otheruniverses
Guest   Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:18 am GMT
Murray,

My native language is Japanese.

My coauthor (American) and I are working on a book that teaches Japanese people English pronunciation. Funny, a major part of the book was written in the process of fixing my English. But it kind of makes sense, doesn't it?

Kaz
Dave   Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:32 am GMT
Your English pronunciation is very good, Kaz!
I'm aware that many Japanese have severe problems speaking English, but you seem to have overcome these difficulties - very impressive.
Don't worry to much about the 'd': it's not a problem at all.
Joy   Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:15 am GMT
I have heard that the Japanese have problems when pronuncing *R*s
Ekko   Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:15 pm GMT
Wasnt expecting the British accent :p, but if I hadnt known you were japanese i would have though you were British.
Chamonix   Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:37 pm GMT
Kaz,

You don't sound japanese at all, you sound like a Brit.
I couldn't understand the end of a few words, but over all I congratulate you.
Kaz   Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:58 am GMT
Hi, I don't want to waste your time, but I tried recording my reading again and wonder if you could critically evaluate my pronunciation.

http://www.estat.us/kaz/eigo/person2.wav

Please use very a very strict standard when you make judgement -- because it really helps me improve my techniques to teach pronunciation for Japanese people. Any small things are welcome.

Last time some people told me I sounded like a Brit, so I tried to pronounce R this time, thinking that probably is a reason, but I may be wrong. I aimed to imitate a standard American English, so let me know how successful I am with my attempt.

Thank you so much for your time in advance.
David Winters   Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:29 am GMT
Just a couple things to point out:

"Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank..."

"Bank" sounded more like "bangk" to me. I guess you pronounced the n a bit too forcefully.

---------

"So she was considering in her own mind..."

Your pronunciation of "considering" was a little off. You slurred it somewhat and didn't pronounce the d. It sounded like "con SI er ing" when it should have been "con SI der ing". I don't know how to express sounds using that wacky moon language the Grammar Nazis here use so very often, so I hope you understood what I was trying say there.

All in all, your enunciation and rhythm was impressive.
Guest   Fri Aug 05, 2005 3:14 am GMT
David,

Thank you so much. I might as well try those words separately.

Everyone,
Please let me know if you notice anything else. I am really trying to be picky here because I learn so much from any small things you say. Thank you for your time again.

Kaz
Guest   Sat Aug 06, 2005 12:59 pm GMT
May I ask specific questions?

I asked Japanese people to listen to my sound file. People who study English phonology were very helpful in pointing out some things (Thanks).

Could you help me confirm the following points?

(1) Am I pronouncing "tiRed" correctly? R is too long?
(2) Am I missing N when I say ONCE?
(3) The same Q as (1) for afterWA*R*DS

I kind of see this person's points, but I wonder if these points are too subtle in a sense that these are not the things that make native speakers sound native.

For example, it doesn't matter if you read R long or short in TIRED or afterWARDS because it isn't exactly the distinguishing feature that devides native speakers and non-natives? I could be wrong, so it would be great if you can chime in.

(Another way of saying this is that a native speaker may pronounce it like the way I did if they are trying to say it to a foreign student who wants to learn it????)

Also I am curious about N (in Once). Do you think I forget N there? I can easily put it back more forcifully, if you think it isn't there. But please do let me know. I recently changed the way I pronounce N, so I'd like to know if my way is correct.

Thank you so much for your time and consideration.

This again is the sound file:
http://www.estat.us/kaz/eigo/person2.wav

This is the passage I read:
Alice was beginning to get very *TIRED* of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: *ONCE* or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, `and what is the use of a book,' thought Alice `without pictures or conversation?'

So she was considering in her own mind whether the pleasure of making a daisy-chain would be worth the trouble of getting up and picking the daisies, when suddenly a White Rabbit with pink eyes ran close by her.

There was nothing so VERY remarkable in that; nor did Alice think it so VERY much out of the way to hear the Rabbit say to itself, `Oh dear! Oh dear! I shall be late!' ..(when she thought it over *afterWARDS*, it occurred to her that she ought to have wondered at this, but at the time it all seemed quite natural).