Attracted to American accents on females

Mark   Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:32 pm GMT
I don't know why but I love North American accents on women, I think it is really charming and beguiles my heart.

What I want to know is do others agree, and why they may feel the same way.

btw, I am English, so perhaps it is because it is similar but dissimilar.
John   Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:43 am GMT
Which American accent are you referring to? The US has many different accents as do most countries including the UK.
Uriel   Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:21 am GMT
Well, he does say "accents", John.

I think everyone finds the exotic intriguing to a degree.
Skippy   Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:40 pm GMT
My girlfriend told me Aussies liked the Southern American accent in women. She said she tried to imitate it, but didn't do so well.
Jasper   Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:26 pm GMT
↑ Uriel and I have discussed this mystery a couple of times, Skippy. It's a curious fact that while many GA speakers perceive the Southern accent as unpleasant, quite a lot of Commonwealth speakers melt when they hear it.

It has been hypothesized that Southern English and British (and Commonwealth) English have a lot of similar vowel sounds, so the groups of sounds being heard is different among the two groups of perceivers.

For my own part, I am most fond of the hybrid groups--not "Yankee" enough to sound cloying, not Southern enough to sound country; Cincinnati speakers speak it, for example...
JTT   Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:04 pm GMT
>> I don't know why but I love North American accents on women, I think it is really charming and beguiles my heart.

I'm curious what you think of the girls on "The Hills". Do you like their accents?

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/740526/the_hills_girl_fight/

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/350921/mtv_the_hills_season_2_trailer/
Mark   Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:44 pm GMT
JTT

Do you like their accents?

Funnily enough American accents always sound far better to me when heard in real life and not recorded.

However I think I could warm to the accent, (second clip especially) but I am not stupid, an accent does not a relationship make. i.e. I am worried about their personality.

---

Jasper yes it true, whilst Northern American may dislike their southern neighbours to an extent (after all the yanks did start the 'war of aggression'), it seems people outside of America have a preference providing the southerner is not 'too republican'.
Uriel   Wed Oct 08, 2008 6:52 am GMT
Well, you would have liked my old roommate, Matt -- born and raised in Savannah, Georgia, had tattos and piercings and a bumper sticker that said "It's your hell -- you burn in it." Not much of a Southern accent on her, but she could turn the manner on and off like a faucet -- oops, sorry -- tap.

What's the difference between recorded and live accents?

(And how do you do that little arrow, Jasper? I like it!)
Jasper   Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:55 pm GMT
[(And how do you do that little arrow, Jasper? I like it!)]

Oh, Gosh, Uriel, I have a Mac; the trick might be Mac-specific. If you have a Mac as well, I can tell you...
Guest   Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:21 pm GMT
It's not really a matter of accent, but I just can't stand Ellen Pompeo's way of speaking in Grey's Anatomy. Her vocal strings seem to be scratching against some very harsh object as she speaks - not to mention that blasé, oh-how-smart-I-am tone

And man is she ugly
Uriel   Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:40 am GMT
Getting a Mac for Christmas. I'll hit you up then, Skip!
dsfsdg   Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:39 am GMT
www.shoes-trader.com hotsell shoes T-shirts bags with low price
Dear friend:
We are a trade and manufacturing company of brand name sport productions in China,Our main productions are:Jordan,Nike shoes;Lv,Prada bags;Jeans(evisu jeans.rmc short.);Sunglasses hat etc

We insists that " SAFETY+ QUALITY+FAST DELIVERY+ GOOD PRICE = PERMANENT CUSTOMER".With high-standard quality, fastest delivery and satisfied service and reasonable price for you.

Welcome to visit our website www.shoes-trader.com
If you are interested in our production pls don't hesitate to contact us.
Best regards!
Edward   Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:02 pm GMT
I think that it applies to every word that ends with the schwa vowel. Non-rhotic English introduces an r at the end of a word if the one after it starts with a vowel. Because in non-rhotic English they replace the "er" at the end of words with the "schwa" this is crept into words that don't end with "er" but with the "schwa" itself. They claim it's something to do with sounding "better" and I have to admit they have a point. I've listened how Americans pronounce "I SAW IT". Now, im my opinion when Americans say "SAW IT" it sound like one word sort of like sort. Non-rhotic forms reinforce that they are two separate words by introducing an r so it sounds like "SORE IT".
Uriel   Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:30 am GMT
The extra R is just jarring to my ears.
Jasper   Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:48 pm GMT
↑ I agree; the linking-r is vaguely irritating to the ear.