Explaining "used to".

MollyB   Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:54 pm GMT
Which would you say is the more precise explanation of the usage of used to?

1. With used to, the situation was true in the past, but is not true at the moment of speaking.

2. Examples of used to refer to two times, i.e. that during which the statement was true and a subsequent time during which it was not.
Leasnam   Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:07 pm GMT
I am leaning toward #1. That makes the most sense to me and I would say that it was a completely accruate statement.

In regards to #2, I'm confused about what the "subsequent time in which it was not" refers to...could you perhaps provide some examples?
Guest   Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:53 pm GMT
<<
1. With used to, the situation was true in the past, but is not true at the moment of speaking. >>

It also implies doing something more than one time in the past.

its how the imperfect tense is sometimes expressed in english.
Guest   Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:35 pm GMT
Number 2# for me.

It explains both these.

I used to live in Paris, but now I live in Rome.
I used to live here as a child and now I've returned to spend my retirment years.
Iain   Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:37 am GMT
There is alot more to it.
iain   Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:09 am GMT
I am a different Iain from the previous poster - should we agree on names? I think the explanations miss out on the aspect of distance of time and the fact that we don't normally use 'used to' with a specific time reference. We can use 'used to' with 'when I was a kid', or 'back then' but not normally with 'three years ago' or 'in 2001'. Often 'used to' doesn't require a stated time as it is implicitly contrasted with a past period.
Don   Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:41 am GMT
<There is alot more to it. >

For example?
Don   Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:45 am GMT
<I think the explanations miss out on the aspect of distance of time and the fact that we don't normally use 'used to' with a specific time reference. >
So how would define "used to"?
Iain   Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:42 pm GMT
Here's a short description (that's a better word than 'definition') of when we use used to:

When we're talking about something that we often did or regularly did in the past but which we don't do any more, we can use teh words 'used to'. For example:
'When my father was a young man he used to swim evcery morning before breakfast.'
'I used to spend my summer holidays at my grandparents' when I was a little boy.'

We also use the words 'used to' for something that was true in the past but isn't true any more:
'Now there's one cinema in this town but there used to be four.'
'That restaurant used to be very good but since it changed owners it's much worse.'

In questions we say 'did you use to?' (not 'did you used to?') and in the negative we say 'I didn't use to' (not 'I didn't used to')

This comes from the lower intermediate course book I use - and I reckon it's clear enough at this level. To 'learn' it - as with any other aspect of grammar - you need plenty of relevant contexts and plenty of contrast with alternative forms over time, and a good course ensures that too.
Johnny   Wed Oct 15, 2008 5:04 pm GMT
I would choose #2.
"I currently play football here, where I used to play when I was in elementary school."
MollyB   Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:20 pm GMT
<<This comes from the lower intermediate course book I use - and I reckon it's clear enough at this level.<>

So, this lower-intermediate student comes into your class the week after you've "taught" him all of the above and asks you where this sentence fits in your explanation of "used to":

I used to come here when I was a child.
I used to live in Paris and now, after many years, I've returned to live there .
iain   Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:51 pm GMT
Don't see any problems here. 'when I was a child' describes a state that is no longer true, as does 'after many years' in the second example.

By the way; what does your 'taught' imply?
Don   Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:22 pm GMT
<Don't see any problems here. 'when I was a child' describes a state that is no longer true, as does 'after many years' in the second example. >

Do you think the "used to" refers to being a child, there. I'm sure it refers to the verb "come".
Guest   Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:25 pm GMT
I think that iain cannot see that this...

"I used to live in Paris and now, after many years, I've returned to live there" is a pefect example of this description of "used to"...

2. Examples of used to refer to two times, i.e. that during which the statement was true and a subsequent time during which it was not.

Why he can't see that, escapes me.
Iain   Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:42 pm GMT
Guest - What escapes me is what you understood. You say exactly what I meant.
Don - 'used to' is the past form of the verb 'come' in this example but it's 'when I was a child' that makes its use relevant.