Denmark: 13
Russia: 22
Spain: 7
Switzerland: 25
Norway: 11
Netherlands: 18
Hungary: 10
Italy: 20

CHINA: 4 (that's right , only 4. For every one Chinese prize, there are 77 American ones!)

China is even beaten by the following countries which are either non-Western, far from great powers or third world:

India: 8
Israel: 8
Egypt: 5
Czech Republic: 5
Argentina: 5
South Africa: 9
Poland: 9

China is even outclassed by its small neighbour:

Japan: 16

I guess we can conclude that while a lot of Westerners are incredibly lazy and stupid, we still produce the best scientists and greatest writers in the world.
12345   Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:33 pm GMT
You forget to keep number of inhabitants there. Else it's damn easy for the USA to have the win on any other western country.

And than China is even lower than 4, cause they have 5 times oe so more inhabitants than the USA.

However I don't think the number of nobel laureates is a good point to measure. Also you shouldn't forget China wasn't -really- known until the 1950's when the USA got afraid of it cause of communism. The Chinese have suffered under communism, as there was no point to move forwards. Everything was strict, it was just hard labour you had to do. Now since about 20 years China gets more open to the world, and sees it has a big advantage to have an open economy. They're not completely open yet, but they're getting to it. And I think in the coming years China will give much more important men to us than the USA does. However, I don't know how the Chinese government will react if someone has made something very special. Maybe the government will say they did it, and the real man who did it was just a worker. (Like universities sometimes do, even here in the Netherlands (we have the rights, he made it, and we are the 'factory' he did it for.))

I don't know..
Q.E.D.   Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:13 pm GMT
"There's nothing wrong but, the Chinese youngsters aren't wasting their time on hedonistic pursuits. They are working/studying hard day and night to become THE global superpower. "

Again I see this forum loosing its purpose as the Chinese floods it with pointless posts.

Requiscat in pace, antimoon - I will not miss you.

Q.E.D.
Gilmore   Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:23 pm GMT
It is true that Chinese are becoming more prominent in science, but in many cases it's NOT thanks to a Chinese education, but rather thanks to a WESTERN education. That's right, Chinese students are coming in hordes to the West to study because they realised Western education is better. My university is full of Chinese people. The majority of them stays in the West and never goes back. Some do go back, and hopefully they will take up the task of Westernising Chinese education when they get back and try to make it more competitive in the global market. Then maybe China will be a power, but only with the West's help.
Taiwanese student   Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:34 am GMT
Let me mention:

Taiwan's education is more strict than mainland China. Why?

It is like "traditional Chinese education system" which has already implemented 60 years ago in mainland China and now Taiwan uses it.
Mainland China's education system is more western than us.
Let's take the percentage of "classical Chinese texts" on textbooks: China only takes classical chinese texts less than 30%, but Taiwan takes 45% of it. Why should we learn Classical Chinese texts which is unlike modern chinese and which is no longer used now. I hope oneday Taiwan will take PRC education system and our students will have more spare time.
Africano   Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:38 am GMT
"Gilmore Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:23 pm GMT
It is true that Chinese are becoming more prominent in science, but in many cases it's NOT thanks to a Chinese education, but rather thanks to a WESTERN education. That's right, Chinese students are coming in hordes to the West to study because they realised Western education is better. My university is full of Chinese people. The majority of them stays in the West and never goes back. Some do go back, and hopefully they will take up the task of Westernising Chinese education when they get back and try to make it more competitive in the global market. Then maybe China will be a power, but only with the West's help. "

Your saying is just like African students before their nation becomes independent. But what did those westernized african students do in today's Africa? still poorer and poorer.... So, western education is nothing to do with help,but with money ,reputation only!
USG   Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:44 am GMT
<<Again I see this forum loosing its purpose as the Chinese floods it with pointless posts.>>

I suppose we should start getting used to Chinese domination everywhere and in everything, from now on.
Gilmore   Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:53 am GMT
<<I hope oneday Taiwan will take PRC education system and our students will have more spare time. >>

I think you're right. They gain absolutely nothing by practically enslaving their children, because in spite of it their adults are far from the best and brightest in the world. My cousin became a leading physicist at Caltech and I remember that as a child he was just as lazy as everyone else, he played games all the time and skipped class. At university however he got serious and worked hard and now is a leader in his field. So all the Taiwanese effort seems futile when it actually counts.
Guest   Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:23 am GMT
I'm not Chinese, just respect the Chinese nation and their collective effort in improving.
Guest   Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:31 am GMT
As for the Nobel prizes, they are not objective because it's a Norweigan Commitee that decides and they have an eurocentric pont of view . thus they are not objective. Nobel prizes can't measure the achievements of nations in sciences. China invented the printing press, gunpowder, compass and so on many centuries before Nobel existed.
SigmundFreud   Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:52 am GMT
<<thus they are not objective. >>

The only ones which are not objective are the literature and peace ones. But the science ones are fully objective. They are objective in the sense that these are the very people responsable for the fact that we are communicating over the internet right now. These are the people responsable for your mobile telephone, your iPod, your medicine. If it weren't for these people the modern world would not exist as we know it and China would still be a peasant nation like it was for thousands of years.

It's not the Chineses' fault, they are fully capable of doing great things also, but they must realise their education system is ineffective. Slaving children is not the answer. Quality over quantity.
Guest   Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:55 am GMT
Your mobile phone, your ipod, etc are made in China.
de Europeaan   Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:33 pm GMT
The Chinese may work harder - nobody doubts it - though, this could be a reason why they are only ranked 82nd as the happiest nation in the world.

The 20 happiest nations in the World are:
1. Denmark
2. Switzerland
3. Austria
4. Iceland
5. The Bahamas
6. Finland
7. Sweden
8. Bhutan
9. Brunei
10. Canada
11. Ireland
12. Luxembourg
13. Costa Rica
14. Malta
15. The Netherlands
16. Antigua and Barbuda
17. Malaysia
18. New Zealand
19. Norway
20. The Seychelles

Other notable results include:
23. USA
35. Germany
41. UK
62. France

82. China*
90. Japan
125. India
167. Russia

As for the education systems in China and Europe, I rather prefer one without rigid schedules and a shit load of compulsory lessons which is the case in China. After all, studying should be fun and effective simultaneously.
Guest   Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:42 pm GMT
The happiest nations in the world: another stupid list. How come Sweden is among the "happiest" nations? It has one of the biggest suicide rates in the world. Happiness is a very subjective concept and it does not necessarily implies material abundance. For example Japan is rich yet according to that list is not a happy country. Also I don't believe USA is so happy ( the 23th according to that source) because facts tell us that there are so many psychotic studients that kill people in high schools.
my name   Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:54 pm GMT
<<The happiest nations in the world: another stupid list. How come Sweden is among the "happiest" nations? It has one of the biggest suicide rates in the world.>>

Ah, and where did you get your source from? ...from "another stupid list"? lol