How is it going?

Brandon Stoughton   Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:21 am GMT
To that question, should you answer I'm going great or it's going great?

Is it right to say something is "going" great in the first place? I feel like I'm using it to mean I'm going somewhere....
Me   Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:44 am GMT
Just answer "hello"
Laura Braun   Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:09 am GMT
Everything is fine.
Estel   Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:10 pm GMT
No... don't say "I'm going great". That is just french. LOL

"It's going well" is what I usually say.
Actually just "good" will do.
Original name   Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:39 pm GMT
Most native speakers simply say "good" or "not too bad".

So you could just say "great".
A Brit   Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:52 pm GMT
Say "how's WHAT going?".
Uriel   Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:16 pm GMT
In "It's going great", 'it' refers to the present situation or life in general, and it's a common response to greetings like "How's it going?". "I'm going great" doesn't make much sense.

"I'm DOING well" (or colloquially and more emphatically, "I'm doing great") is a more likely response to "How are you doing?"

So, you do have to pay a little attention to how the greeting is worded to figure out how your reply should be worded -- they should agree as much as possible.

"Going" in this sense is a common English expression that can mean not so much the literal sense of "moving in a direction" but also the more abstract ideas of events or situations progressing, happening, and unfolding. So don't be weirded out by the literal meaning; it's not what's being used in this case. It's also not limited to greetings; similar questions might be, "How did your presentation go?" "How are your studies going?" or "How's it going with your new job?"
Brandon Stoughton   Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:22 am GMT
Uriel, thanks for your post.
To "How are your studies going?", I once replied "They are going great". The actual answer has to be "It's going great" even if the question asked about plural nouns, right? I'm so embarrassed now that I know what I said was wrong.
Uriel   Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:30 pm GMT
No, "they are going great" is perfectly fine, as the noun is plural. There's no reason why plural nouns can't be "going great".