on the earth vs in the earth

bubu   Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:22 am GMT
Hello,

is their any difference between 'in the earth' and 'on the earth'?

What difference in the meanings will they have If I omit the article 'the' used in both the phrases?

Thank you in advance.
K. T.   Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:28 am GMT
I'll take part of this:

In earth=in soil, in the ground

When I am laid in earth=When I am dead and buried
Put that in earth=put that (usually a plant) in soil
K. T.   Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:31 am GMT
First example is older English, not sure if it is used much now.
Second example is informal, casual English. May be regional. Don't know.
Another Guest   Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:08 am GMT
in the earth: below the surface
in earth: surrounded by soil

on the earth: not really something that would be said
on earth: literally on the surface of the planet, figuratively anywhere in the world

Note that "earth" can either refer to the planet or to soil. "In the earth" emphasizes the former, "in earth" the latter.
O'Bruadair   Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:49 pm GMT
The phrase “in earth” does not necessarily mean the same as buried beneath the soil. The phrase is used in the Lord’s Prayer (KJV) (“Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven”, though most people, even serious Christians, misquote it as “on earth”.
Another Guest   Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:45 pm GMT
We're discussing English, not the language spoken in England at the time of the writing of the KJV. Anyone trying to learn English by reading the KJV is going to fail miserably.
O'Bruadair   Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:24 am GMT
“We're discussing English, not the language spoken in England at the time of the writing of the KJV. Anyone trying to learn English by reading the KJV is going to fail miserably.”

Huh? I simply made a comment about the meaning of a phrase that is used by millions of English speaking people every day. Who is advocating the use of the KJV to learn English?

You are not seriously suggesting that the King James Bible had no influence on modern English are you? That would be absurd, now wouldn’t it?
Another Guest   Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:04 am GMT
You presented a passage from the KJV as an apparent example of a particular usage. How is the content of the KJV relevant to the meaning of phrases unless the KJV a valid example of English? Why would you present the KJV on a forum dedicated to teaching people English, unless you intended to have it consulted in the learning of English?

And unless there's some reason to think that someone is intending to specifically quote the KJV, it doesn't make sense to think that they are "misquoting" simply because they don't recite the KJV.