Accent of Call Center Agents and influence on American Accen

Language soul   Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:20 am GMT
Ok. Kids. No more fighting. And what British and American native speakers would tell you about English mistakes. They do make horrible mistakes as well. Damian would update your guys on this. Please go back on the topic and no more personal attacks.
yifei   Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:31 am GMT
Mr educator is no more than a n00b. The more he does to how how great his English is, the more pathetic I find him. Get a life.
yifei   Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:33 am GMT
typo *how -> show

Yes, I speak crappy English. Bite me.
Ravi   Tue Jun 20, 2006 8:54 am GMT
hi guys,
i see that you have gotten busy when i was'nt around.iam not going to be drawn into this personal vendetta between you two,i find it funny that neither of you work in a call center and have to go through all that i go through daily but you are fighting over it.the people affected are the ones on both sides of the call center.the agents and customers,they are getting on with their life but intellectuals like you are fighting over who is best when it comes to english.
Are'nt you guys realising that you seem very selfish when you do this on the forum.I asked for help from educator but he found it fulfilling to continue his scathing remarks against bonnie then help me.i'd rather go somewhere else where i people are willing to help me than getting involved in humiliating each other.
Apparently eduactor,bonnie and me we are all from the so called third world countries are we not supposed to support each other and help each other out.this squabbling is what is keeping us back.just chill guys dont take it personally,its just a language no big deal.
Bonnie Zhang   Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:24 pm GMT
Sorry, Ravi.

You know, I was angry at Educator for his rudeness and not his grammar in the first place. I guess I became equally rude, huh.

Anyway, you're the innocent party here, so sorry again.
Jennifer   Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:42 pm GMT
I have had two Indian professors and two Indian coworkers. The professors were hard to understand at first, but my coworkers are almost impossible to understand. Why they insist on talking so fast I do not know. I think if an Indian with a thick accent slows down it is much easier to understand him. Because of my experience with their diction, I am better than probably the average American at understanding Indian accents, but it's still like nails scraping a blackboard. Also, with my coworkers, I feel so uncomfortable asking them to repeat themselves more than 3 times, so if I still don't understand, I just let it slide. I think we native speakers should avoid being as shy as me, because they probably don't realize we can't understand them. It will help them and us if we're not shy about not being able to understand them. I will work on that. :-) We need to get better at understanding them, and they REALLY need to get better at speaking because it's not going away.
Jennifer   Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:47 pm GMT
PS-- I remember the first time I heard an Indian speak (other than in the movies)-- it was Fall 2002 and he was a grad student in one of my Comp Sci classes. I had to totally tune him out because I could not understand a word! It didn't help that he was so freaking smart (it seemed) and so he was probably talking about things I would likely have a hard time understanding even if he was a native speaker. And then when he tried to help me with my Java program... oh Lord! Like I said, though, I am getting better because I am getting used to hearing the accent.
Ravi   Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:12 am GMT
jennifer,you mentioned that both the parties have to work on this.native speakers have to try to understand us and we have to " learn to speak better ".thats what iam trying to do here.i have been haunting this forum looking for ways to get better,speak better.that is the only important aspect of english language.
i dont want to have a thick indian accent, i would like to sound clear to anybody,any suggestions ?.what do i do ?.
Uriel   Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:37 am GMT
<<Uriel, you never mentioned if the American call center workers with whom you spoke were Americans or if their work was outsourced to any other places..... >>

By "American call center workers" I meant just that -- call center workers who are American. It's not just the accent that gives them away, but word choices, intonation, etc. There are still plenty of Americans working in that business -- I can't quite comprehend the fuss being made over overseas outsourcing. Plus, as I said, it's a crappy job anyway... as Ravi can probably tell you.

That being the case, though, I thought the one I worked for went out of their way to lavish praise on those who were doing a good job, and tried hard to encourage good work.
ravi   Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:41 am GMT
uriel i agree that its a crappy job but iam only here because i want to get better at speaking english.this is the only place where i can talk to native speakers.i have come this far because of the call center,if it wasnt for the call center my accent would have been horrible.i think now its bearable.
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:39 pm GMT
Many organisations, eg the major Banks, now outsource their call centre work to the Indian Sub-Continent and most British people are familiar with the accents, but I don't suppose that the Banks would employ people with really "difficult" accents, would they? It would not be good for their image if customers could not understand them when they were probably under pressure and stressed with whatever issues they were dealing with.

As I said in an earlier post it's not a real problem for most of us at all except for older people who sound off about it as they don't adapt to change of any kind so well anyway do they? They were the same people, no doubt, like retired gentry living in idle splendour on the South Devon coast of England, who railed about "bloody Scottish accents!!" when many of those same call centres were based in the Glasgow area before transfer to Asia.

All sorts of companies use call centres still based here in the UK promoting their products..eg bathrooms, kitchens, home improvements, double glazing, conservatories and heaven knows what else, and to most people here they are a (BLEEP) nuisance whatever (BLEEP) accent their callers use in an attempt to get the business and commission. Businesses like Banks and other financial institutions and other major organisations don't come under this category.

The problem of unwarranted calls is easily solved.....just register your number with the Telephone Preference Service and all unwanted telephone cold callers are automatically blocked and you can get on with your tea or dinner or Coronation Street or whatever you were up to when the phone rang..... It works in the same way as the Postal Preference Service which stops the tidal waves of junk mail...they don't come with any accent at all. At least that keeps the recycling people in work.

*Ecuador*Ecuador*Ecuador*Ecuador*Ecuador*Ecuador*Ecuador*Ecuador*
Uriel   Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:55 am GMT
What's with Ecuador, Damian?
Damian in Edinburgh   Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:11 pm GMT
England are playing against Ecuador on Sunday, Uriel! .. the World Cup footie! Just giving Ecuador some support......already there are a few Ecuadorian tops and flags on display here in Scotland..last week it was all Sweden and Swedish hee hee! Are we no tairrible and a wee bit mean? LOL I still love ALL my English mates! It's only a game!

*Ecuador*Ecuador*Ecuador*Ecuador*Ecuador*Ecuador*Ecuador*Ecuador*
Uriel   Fri Jun 23, 2006 2:02 pm GMT
Oh.
Right.

Soccer.

Forgot about that sport....
Guest   Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:22 pm GMT
Damian:
You're balanced out by a Peruvian friend of mine who deeply dislikes Ecuador and will passionately support England this time around.
Gabriel.