Americanish Spelling Reform

Americanish reformer   Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:57 am GMT
c ,ch which is pronounced as [k] must be reformed to k
for example, kolor(color), karakter, o'klock

ph which is pronounced as [f] must be reformed to f

for example, telefon(telephone), Filadelfia(Philadelphia), fotografy(photography)
Americanish reformer   Tue Oct 28, 2008 4:58 am GMT
konklusion(conclusion), konfuse(confuse),konversation(conversation).
Insulting PH   Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:00 am GMT
i'm phine(fine)

I wanna phly(fly) away....

lol
feati   Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:25 pm GMT
You could also change c pronounced as /s/ to s, ch pronounced as /tS/ to tsh and drop c completely, you know...

Or just keep it the way it is now (a k at the beginning of a syllable looks horrible anyway).
Ckatcckillian   Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:25 pm GMT
<<(a k at the beginning of a syllable looks horrible anyway). >>

We can solve that problem by using "ck" for the "k" sound and plain "c" for "s". You'd have:

car -> ckar
keen -> ckeen
quite -> ckuite
Qatar -> Ckatar
lock -> lock
music -> mucick
accident -> ackcident
ask -> acck
sick -> cick
hiccup -> hickckup
brass -> bracc
Mississippi -> Micciccippi
Another Guest   Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:28 pm GMT
The idea is to make the spelling phonetic, not to simlpy replace one letter with another. The initial consonant in quite is kw, not k. And there's no need to keep the doubled letters in hiccup, etc.
snowblindness   Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:05 pm GMT
<<The idea is to make the spelling phonetic>>

But that spoils all the fun. Except for the spelling, English is pretty straightforward and trivial. If you make English phonetic, doesn't it become extremely uninteresting or even boring?
Skooby   Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:02 pm GMT
... maybe that's why it takes people 8 years to learn English... and not even native-like.
Yu Da Man   Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:17 pm GMT
In "An Essay on the Necessity, Advantages, and Practicality of Reforming the Mode of Spelling and of Rendering the Orthography of Words Correspondent to Pronunciation," Noah Webster (dictionary guy) insisted that the rules of spelling English must be reformed for its irregularities. Unfortunately, only some of his ideas caught on, like "draught" became "draft."

But recently a movement called "Globish" has arose.

It is an attempt to distill English into 1,500 words, so that it becomes more accessible to the English Language Learners of the world. This "global alternative" uses phonetic spelling. For example, "I speak English," turns into "i speek ingglish."
Edwin E McPhipps   Wed Oct 29, 2008 1:20 am GMT
I wonder if anyone has an exhaustive list of all the spelling reform proposals ever suggested for English?

I wonder what percentage of these have been adopted?
Chunling   Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:00 am GMT
It may be meaningful for someone. But I seem not get used to the rules, maybe we should leave the position for "klock" of new meaning. ;)