phrase placement

choose   Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:03 am GMT
-"Miracles did, it seemed, happen"
-"Mircales it seemed did happen"

Which one, if not both, is correct? Y?
Uriel   Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:26 am GMT
If you add a little punctuation to your second sentence, it will also be correct:

"Miracles, it seemed, did happen" .

If you want a punctuationless version, you can try yet a third version:

"It seemed miracles did happen."

All are correct; if it's the commas you are asking about, they have to set off certain clauses once the sentence is rearranged, but all of the sentences are perfectly natural and correct.
choose   Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:28 am GMT
The first one just threw me off a little. No, not the commas I'm concerned about.
"John was, it seemed, going to die."
"John, it seemed, was going to die."
I always thought the verb (I'll just call it that since I forget what they're called) like 'was' and 'did' should come right before the actual verb.
Like this:
"John, it seemed, was going to die."
Another Guest   Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:35 pm GMT
While there are situations where "It seemed miracles did happen" would a correct sentence, it would usually be appropriate to show what is happening when relative to what. For instance "It seems that miracles did happen" or "It seemed that miracles had happened". Putting the two verbs in the same tense suggests that they happened at the same time, but presumably the miracles themselves preceeded the appearance of miracles.

To choose: the word is "helping verb". They are supposed to go next to the verb they "help", but you can put something in between as long as it's set off by punctuation, such as commas or parentheses. "I am, if time allows, going to the store". "He can, they say, leap building in a single bound".
choose   Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:03 pm GMT
Thanks for the explanation, another guest.
So, would it be correct to say the following? Cuz that will sum it up for me once and for all, or so I hope:
"I, if time allows, am going to the store".
"He, they say, can leap building in a single bound".
Uriel   Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:46 am GMT
Yes, they're both correct, as long as you either add an S to building or put an "a" in front of it.
choose   Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:51 am GMT
Got it. Thanks