Why is Shakespeare so great?

American Airlines   Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:06 am GMT
Why do so many people say William Shakespeare is more special and greater than the other famous writers?

Did he make noticeable contributions to the English language or literature history?
JackBeNimble   Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:05 am GMT
He added thousands of new words to the English lexicon.
Damian in Edinburgh   Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:13 pm GMT
The Bard of Avon and his profound effect on the English Language has received a great deal of attention in many threads in this Forum. I personally cannot add any more to what I have said previously.

I'll just repeat this - Will is so great because he has never been equalled as a prolific playwright and poet and supreme wordsmith in the English Language since his day.....and never will. In fact he is the greatest of his kind in any Language, let alone English, and his works have probably been studied and performed in practically every country on the face of our planet. And to think he started out as a bumpkin of a swain from a wee town (as it was then) in the depths of the Warwickshire countryside called Stratford-upon-Avon.

Whether we realise it or not but most of us in this Forum have used expressions that first sprang from Will's inky quill pen on a fairly regular basis, quite possibly today....it's all much of a muchness without making much ado about nothing.