spoken English units

MollyB   Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:29 am GMT
If the sentence is a unit of written English, what would be a suitable name for a unit of spoken English?
Johnny   Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:54 pm GMT
I think either "clause" or "sentence".
MollyB   Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:39 pm GMT
<I think either "clause" or "sentence". >

But syntatic sentences are the exception and not the norm in spoken English.
guestX   Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:44 pm GMT
An utterance?
Johnny   Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:50 pm GMT
That's why I also said "clause". I might add "phrase", so the most basic one would be a "phrase", which doesn't even need a verb. The reason why I didn't say "sentence" is because in speech you can't really hear the "periods" (or full stops).

So... like, that guy was way too stupid... he was trying... he was digging a hole with his own hands and... and there was a shovel, I mean, just behind him... he didn't notice it... like, he wasn't using it, you know... How stupid is that?

I would say in most informal speech there's no periods, or at least it's not obvious where they would be.
Matthew   Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:03 am GMT
<<I would say in most informal speech there's no periods, or at least it's not obvious where they would be. >>

I disagree. Your example is a story, and stories are usually very hard to tell in a straightforward manner without prior memorization. I would say standard communication falls much easier into written sentence structure.
Achab   Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:08 am GMT
That's an interesting question.

I'm not sure there's an "official" linguistic term to indicate a spoken English unit. I mean, a term that is generally used within the linguistic community to indicate just that.

Anyway, what about "idea unit"? Or "bite-sized piece of meaning"? Or "elemental chunk of content"? Or.... or... "spoken English unit"?! Yes! I'm thinking the very term MollyB wanted to give a specific name to is probably the best name for itself and should be preserved unchanged.

With every good wish,

Achab
Danni   Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:22 am GMT
tone unit
Terry   Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:45 am GMT
It is British units.