flavour of the month

H   Fri Nov 14, 2008 5:48 am GMT
Hi,

<Which techniques are currently used in the UK for the diagnosis and the treatment osf allergic disease? – It’s a difficult question because we are dealing with a flavour of the month type of therapy [homeopathy] and they come and go quite frequently.>
flavour of the month - a person or thing that is the most popular at a certain time
Please how common is this idiom? Could you give a couple of examples? I want them from you, real people, not from Google.

Thanks.
Laura Braun   Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:59 am GMT
listen if you need something it's not necessary to google it, it's all about general knowledge of the dictionaries online:

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/define.asp?key=flavour*1+0&dict=I
Laura Braun   Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:01 am GMT
Definition

the flavour of the month British & Australian, American & Australian the flavor of the month

someone or something that has suddenly become very popular, but may not remain popular for long
Role-playing games are suddenly the flavour of the month.
Matthew   Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:16 am GMT
Some restaurants have a flavor of the day, week or month, and this is where the term originated. It is meant to convey that something is a fad and is, like a featured dish, not likely to stick around for long.
Uriel   Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:47 pm GMT
It's a very common idiom.
H   Sun Nov 16, 2008 7:21 am GMT
Thanks, Laura and Matthew.
Does it mean "a flavour of the day/ week" are also as common or is "flavour of the month" generic?

BTW I don't understand why thefFreedictionary marks it as British & Australian, American & Australian - why not just say British, Australian, and American ?
Jo   Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:05 pm GMT
The distinction between countries is for the spelling - Britain and parts of Australia use 'flavour' and America and other parts of Australia use 'Flavor'.