pronunciation of DISGUISE

Sho   Tue Dec 06, 2005 11:16 am GMT
What about the word "extend"? Do you pronounce it /Ik.stEnd/ or /Ik.st_hEnd/?

I'm looking for a word in which a voiceless plosive is aspirated even though it's next to /s/, like sixteen.(I asked in another thread and the majority said they pronounced it with an aspirated /t_h/)
Jim   Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:30 am GMT
For me it's /d@.skAez/ however /d@s.gAez/ would sound all right but, at least to me, /d@z.gAez/ sounds off.

Ever noticed, though, how "sky", "scare", "scout", etc. sound a bit like "sguy", "sgare", "sgout", etc.? Same with "spy", "spare", "spout", "sty", "stare", "stout", etc. : they sound a little like "sby", "sbare", "sbout", "sdy", "sdare", "sdout".

The /k/ in "sky" is unaspirated whereas the /k/ in "kite" is aspriated. The /g/ in "guy" is also unaspirated. /k/ and /g/ are not contrastive in initial consonant clusters when they follow /s/. The same goes for the other pairs of plosives.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoneme#Neutralization.2C_archiphoneme.2C_underspecification
Kelly   Thu Dec 08, 2005 1:47 pm GMT
exit [egzIt] or [eksIt]?
Felix the Cassowary   Thu Dec 08, 2005 4:13 pm GMT
[egz@t].
Bandy   Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:18 pm GMT
SO, your theory of /gz/ becoming unvoiced is obviously not true
Kirk   Thu Dec 08, 2005 8:27 pm GMT
<<SO, your theory of /gz/ becoming unvoiced is obviously not true>>

It's no one's "theory" as it's a completely tangible and verifiable phonological process. And no, for various reasons this particular phonological rule does not apply all the time.

I have ["EksIt] for <exit>, by the way.
Jim   Fri Dec 09, 2005 1:50 am GMT
[egz@t] for me: same as Felix but we're from the same place.
Travis   Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:36 am GMT
I myself have /"EgzIt/ -> ["E:g.zI?] for "exit", for the record.
Uriel   Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:20 am GMT
<<Ever noticed, though, how "sky", "scare", "scout", etc. sound a bit like "sguy", "sgare", "sgout", etc.? Same with "spy", "spare", "spout", "sty", "stare", "stout", etc. : they sound a little like "sby", "sbare", "sbout", "sdy", "sdare", "sdout".>>

I hadn't noticed that at all. But maybe since we speak different dialects, our pronunciations differ a bit.

I wonder if it's the fact that you have to voice (I think that's the right word) the vowels immediately after the SK/SP/ST sounds (which don't usually involve the vocal cords) that causes the phenomenon you mention.
Travis   Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:24 am GMT
>><<Ever noticed, though, how "sky", "scare", "scout", etc. sound a bit like "sguy", "sgare", "sgout", etc.? Same with "spy", "spare", "spout", "sty", "stare", "stout", etc. : they sound a little like "sby", "sbare", "sbout", "sdy", "sdare", "sdout".>>

I hadn't noticed that at all. But maybe since we speak different dialects, our pronunciations differ a bit.

I wonder if it's the fact that you have to voice (I think that's the right word) the vowels immediately after the SK/SP/ST sounds (which don't usually involve the vocal cords) that causes the phenomenon you mention.<<

I don't think Jim's referring to voicing at all here, but rather the lack of *aspiration*, which is being *perceived* as /b/, /d/, /g/, and like, rather than as the fortis /p/, /t/, /k/, even though such is normally marked using fortis phonemes.
DISKAIZ   Tue Feb 14, 2006 5:05 pm GMT
hej alla barn, och alla andra som inte är barn =)
Jim   Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:25 am GMT
Yeah, and our "today" sounds like "to die" ... it all depends on what you're used to. To us "disguise" sounds like "disguise" not "disgoiz" but this is how our ears are tuned.

Also, Travis is right. In initial clusters after /s/ unvoiced stops are unaspired making them sound similar to their voiced counterparts. Note, though, that you don't get the voiced stops in such positions so the fortis-lentis distinction sort of evaporates.
B-radG   Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:23 am GMT
What's with all the weird signs and what not? 0_o Anyways, I would pronounce Disguise as "disc - eyes". If you know how to pronounce disc and eyes, then you can pronounce Disguise.
Jim   Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:30 am GMT