How dare guys call us ladies chicks!!!!!

lauren   Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:55 am GMT
As a proud woman, I'm offended by this word.
I'm always ready to slap any guy that calls me this.
How can women ever be compared to chicks which are stupid little birds?
It is probably males that made up this word in the first place thinking they are better than women.
I think we females should retaliate them by start calling them "dogs" or any other animals similar to males.
Yeshua   Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:03 am GMT
Yeah right, it's no more offensive than calling males 'blokes', 'dudes', 'chaps', 'lads', etc... If women are offended to be called 'chicks' then surely some guys must be offended by being equated with damaged chapped lips. But no, they aren't, because men aren't so petty.
Matthew   Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:29 am GMT
The irony is that you said you're a proud wo'man'.
Beebee   Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:36 am GMT
What about when guys call women their bitches?
Laura Braun   Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:45 am GMT
lauren: if I were I wouldn't think to get offended by something so little and even to slap someone , because he dares to offend me in such way.
Pub Lunch   Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:47 pm GMT
Yeah, I agree "chicks" is a pants term to use to refer to women - I much prefer the English "Birds" instead - as in "that bird over there is well fit".

Hope that didn't offend you???
Nathaniel   Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:26 pm GMT
How dare you call chicks stupid little birds?
Yes they are little birds but stupid - no!
They're exactly smart enough as little birds should be.
They can do everything that little birds do and are prob'ly proud as well.
Men call women chicks because they're cute and not because they're stupid, it's your false interpretation because you're prejudiced against chicken.
Change, woman!
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:43 pm GMT
***Hope that didn't offend you???***

Don't bank on it, pal. The poor things get wound up over the slightest wee bit of trivia it's just not worth bothering with the notion that you may be doing the old egg shells thing. I mean - they don't think twice over what names to address the male gender by or whether it's insulting or not so why should we? Haven't women fought tooth and nail for so called "equality" since some demented famale set fire to her brassiere way back in the 1960s or whenever it was?

Why do you think the OP would be any less "offended" by "birds" than "chicks"? Aren't they not the same genus? All of them have feathers, beaks and claws and make avian noises. Actually chicks can be really sweet as they go "tweet" "tweet" "tweet" even if their gaping beaks can resemble the entrance to the Dartford Tunnel whenever they need sustenance, whereas birds can sometimes have lethal looking talons and beaks and screech like banshees when angry.
Guest   Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:17 pm GMT
Oh my, you DO scorn women after all.
Rene   Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:19 pm GMT
It's not just men who do it, women do it too. I've referred to other women as chicks, and before you ask, no, I'm not gay. Lots of women do this. And as Beebee pointed out, at least its better than being referred to by the all-encompassing "bitch."

So, quit getting your panties (or in your case, probably boxers) in a bind over nothing.
RollinHand   Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:22 pm GMT
"Oh my, you DO scorn women after all." <rolls eyes> What a ridiculous old stereotype! It fits in the same league as such sentiments as "Did you have a bad relationship with a woman that turned you gay?"
Damian in Edinburgh   Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:06 pm GMT
RollinHand: Let them resort to those sad old stock phrases whenever tables get turned on them - we see it all the time. At least she either resisted the temptation or overlooked completely the need to make snide and infinitely misguided comments about size deficiencies. That's their usual line of attack whenever they get "shot down in flames" and confronted with reality - we see it in the UK Sunday supplements girly "problems pages" all the time. It's never their fault...........

That other example about the "bad relationship with a woman" thingumy surely has to be the most spurious and baseless of them all! ;-) Always good for a chuckle though.
Buddy   Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:23 pm GMT
<<...How can women ever be compared to chicks which are stupid little birds?...
>>

"Chicks" ("Chicks, Man") is a term of endearment not of ridicule or status. Funny you should see it that way :|

<<I think we females should retaliate them by start calling them "dogs" or any other animals similar to males. >>

You already do! :|)
Johnny   Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:49 pm GMT
Duh. Dog is already used to refer to males.

What up, dog? You heard of that chick, lauren? Damn man, where she at? We gotta nay lur. ;-) Lolzzz.
Jasper   Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:01 pm GMT
I'm not particularly fond of the words "chicks" and "birds" because it does seem to dehumanise, but the words for men--"dudes", "blokes", etc., are no more flattering.