Question for MJD

Max   Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:53 am GMT
I was wondering if you work as a journalist? Your English is very good.
Yeshua   Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:44 am GMT
What makes you think journalists have good English? Just today I heard a journalist say "more furtherer".
Damian in Edinburgh   Thu Nov 20, 2008 8:57 am GMT
It's an occupational hazard, Yeshua, pure and simple. S/he may well have been in a state of high tension, passion and hype all combined in the face of a good story. Hacks are like that you know. Anyway, it is regrettable, but believe it or not, and contrary to common belief, journalists are only human, but that particular linguistic horror is pretty dire. S/he should be relegated to some obscure rag somewhere in the sticks where a cat stuck up a tree is considered a major local news story.

Journalists who can't tell the difference between "fewer" and "less" are ten a penny, just as one common example, but as that particular error of English is so generally widespread in everyday speech it's no use throwing a hissy fit over.
Dennis   Fri Dec 05, 2008 2:44 am GMT
I got the idea that he is a librarian.
choose   Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:32 am GMT
I kinda regret not going into journalism or creative writing as a 2nd major. Spending 5 years on Electrical Engineering has taught me absolutely no English. I have to put so much time and effort at home now reading and learning. It's not easy. Could be very frustrating too.
Dan   Wed Dec 10, 2008 2:15 am GMT
MJD is the stalwart of antimoon. Lets all thank him for his time and work over the years.